The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 21, 2024, 02:03 PM   #1
Trooper Joe

Sig 239, 9mm, SAS, Custom Shop

Just picked up my new to me Sig P239, SAS, Custom Shop, 9mm (mfg. 5-2014).

I contacted the selling dealer and questioned whether or not these grips were from Karl Nill from Germany. He just responded that all he knew they were “walnut” grips!

Well the first thing I checked when I picked up the gun today was that they were indeed Nill grips.

These grips list for about $207 new and certain,y add to the value of my P239..

This is my second P239. The first one on the left started life as a 40 cal and now has a Sig .357 barrel, mags, corrected sights, and most recently a set of G-10 grips.

I did have a plain P239, 9mm, that I sold to a high end west Michigan dealer over 5 years ago for $750! This one I got today will replace that one (never to be sold).

Trooper Joe

Last edited by Trooper Joe; May 22, 2024 at 02:04 AM.
Old May 21, 2024, 02:16 PM   #2
rmh3481

Very Nice!
Old May 21, 2024, 04:04 PM   #3
jar

The P239 is a near ideal pistol and mine is now reaching the point the night sights are noticeably less bright than brand new ones.

But then I'm getting old too.
Old May 24, 2024, 11:27 AM   #4
Pumpkin

The 239 is an excellent gun, ignored a little because it’s a single stack.
Old May 24, 2024, 02:03 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

Very nice find Trooper Joe!

I can honestly say my P239 is the only handgun, both semiautomatic and revolver, that has never had a single FTF (both types - fire and feed). It is rock steady - I can balance a dime on the front sight and dry fire it all day long (ok, a slight exaggeration) without the dime falling off.
Old May 25, 2024, 08:14 AM   #6
Jack19

Beautiful. Best gun Sig ever made. Seemed to avoid the problems of its era.
Old May 28, 2024, 10:04 AM   #7
FoghornLeghorn

I have two. SAS, DAK, 9mm. Several OEM Sig 10 round mags (not pictured) which, with the Hogues, are very controllable when firing. Carry in either a High Noon or Comptac holster.
Old May 28, 2024, 12:49 PM   #8
fastbolt

Nice. Congrats.

The Sig Anti-Snag (SAS) modification was a nice one. Added a bit to the machining and cost, but made for a smooth profile.

Personally, I consider the P239 to be on equal footing with the S&W 3913 series, in that they were both rock-solid examples of single-stack metal compacts that set the standard for reliability and durability. More's the pity that both companies decided to discontinue them in favor of more easily produced plastic guns.

I still sometimes regret not having ordered a P239 when I went through the Sig armorer class (for Classic models), but they said armorers could only order a SIG for a discount until the end of the class, and their discounted armorer price for the 239 was more than $650 at the time, plus tax, shipping and FFL fees. Since I already had enough small 9's at the time, I didn't feel like spending that much just to add a small SIG to my collection.

Still a great gun, though. In my opinion, discontinuing the P239 and P245 were a couple of SIG's more notable mistakes.