The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 26, 2022, 11:43 AM   #1
hammie

Blue is wearing off.

I have a Uberti, (sorta) copy of an 1873 colt single action army. The frame has a faux color case hardened finish and the barrel, cylinder and backstrap are finished in a bright, polished, charcoal blue finish. The finish is almost an electric blue color and pretty. The problem is that the blue rubs off after handling the gun for a few times, leaving an ugly gray metal exposed. Is there anything that can be done, other than "just don't handle the gun".
Old November 26, 2022, 12:18 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Weird that it would come off so easily unless it is holster wear marks. Some holsters rub harder than others. You can try protecting the finish with car wax. There are also clear finishes that can be applied over bluing. I believe all the Cerakote clear finishes can be used over it, but you might want to check with them first.

If you want to recover the original blue, you may have to get the factory to do that, and I would do it before applying a clear finish.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 26, 2022, 01:01 PM   #3
Jim Watson

That "charcoal blue" is famously fragile.
Learn to love the "character."
Old November 26, 2022, 02:39 PM   #4
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
That "charcoal blue" is famously fragile.
Learn to love the "character."
What he said. Charcoal blue is more for looking at than shooting. It will wear off fast.
Old November 26, 2022, 04:54 PM   #5
hammie

This is kind of what I suspected. The revolver has a 4 3/4 inch barrel and is chambered for .44-40. It is handy and pleasant to shoot.

I found a bottle of a formulaic copy of the old Herters Belgian Blue. Apparently, it's different from the typical selenium based cold blues, but the result looks to be a deep navy blue, and not the electric charcoal blue, and so won't match.
Guns are meant to be admired but also used, and so I guess I'll just keep shooting the revolver, and let the finish wear.

I may go ahead an order a bottle of the "model perfect" Belgian Blue as an experimental touch up for other guns. I sure do miss George Herter. In the late 1950's and early 60's, the Herters catalogs were more entertaining than the three television channels we had back then.

Last edited by hammie; November 26, 2022 at 05:10 PM.
Old November 27, 2022, 07:25 PM   #6
Dfariswheel

CAREFUL, many/most cold blues will remove a heat blued finish.

Heat bluing is famously fragile and is not up to much handling.