The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2021, 07:05 AM   #1
chris downs

Upside Down Primer

So I have a case with the primer inserted upside down. I would like to use the case. In this era, I want to reuse the primer. Suggestions?
Old March 23, 2021, 07:15 AM   #2
Jim Watson

You may be able to recap and recover it with slow pressure on the press handle.

There is some chance of punching out the anvil which I consider to ruin it, but these days, it might be worth your while to get out the tweezers.

Any live primer I decap, either way up, I mark and use only for a practice round. They have all gone off, so far.
Old March 23, 2021, 07:17 AM   #3
mgulino

I have occasionally had that same situation. Setup a depriming die (or sizing die) and insert that case on your press as you would normally. Wrap the base of the case and shell holder with a towel. Wear gloves and hearing/eye protection. Slowly raise the case into the die and punch out the primer. If you catch the primer, you can inspect it for damage and possibly still use it. YMMV
Old March 23, 2021, 07:59 AM   #4
buck460XVR

If the primer is actually seated to depth upside down in the pocket, odds are, the anvil is already damaged. Is the saving of one primer worth the chance of a misfire, hangfire or squib from poor ignition? Slow even pressure from a decapping die will probably not set it off. How does one seat a primer correctly in the first place? With slow pressure on the primer face. How many have gone off?....and that is with the anvil seated against the pocket. Upside down, the anvil does not contact anything on the way out.
Old March 23, 2021, 08:26 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

You could do it hydraulically, the way some Berdan primer reloaders decap. Fill the case with water. Put it into a shell holder and put a bullet-size dowel in the case neck and tap it with a hammer until the primer comes out. Dry it off and set it into a baggie with a desiccant for a few days.

The advantage to this approach is that as soon as the primer starts to move, the pressure removing it will spread out over the whole surface rather than just pushing on the middle of the cup.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 23, 2021, 06:12 PM   #6
308Loader

** DISCLAIMER ** You do what you feel is safe for your flesh and equipment, a primer is just a primer, not worth hurting anything over.

With that said, I’ve found my self in this situation before. Just last week as a mater of fact. Normally I would slowly push the bad primer out, seat a new one and get on with my life. Ammo box winds up with 99 loaded rounds not 100. Things being the way they are with components, I did exactly what you are thinking about. Pushed the upside-down one out SLOWLY and as gently as possible. Flipped it over and seated it in its proper orientation. Being sure there was no noticeable damage to the cup or anvil before reseating. Marked the case with a sharpie so I would know what one to look out for. Brought it to the range and gave it a go. Round went bang, no noticeable difference in POI, life is good.

Again, I’m not saying you should do this. This is just my recent experience and 2 cents.
Old March 23, 2021, 06:44 PM   #7
gwpercle

I've deprimed upside downs many times .
Wear eye and ear protection , keep fingers and body parts (head , legs & feet) away from top and bottom of die and decap it as S-L-O-W as molassas in winter time . No sudden bumps and the primer should ease right out ... I've even re-used the primer in range loads .
Can't waste nothing in these ..."out of stock" times .
Gary
Old March 23, 2021, 07:17 PM   #8
chris downs

Thanks guys. I got it out and reloaded the primer. Tomorrow morn it will be round 1 sent downrange.
Old March 23, 2021, 08:03 PM   #9
Shadow9mm

I have done this. I am not recommending you do this but I have very carefully, with eye and ear protection, and gloves, decapped the casing on the press. Then disposed of the primer.
Old March 24, 2021, 06:20 PM   #10
Mike38

As much as I hate to admit it, I've somehow done this 3 times. Gloves, ear muffs, safety glasses and a face shield. Slowly and carefully press it out. Didn't go pop. It does however make a certain part of your anatomy pucker up.
Old March 24, 2021, 06:50 PM   #11
hammered54

done this plenty of times ......just go slow and out they come, some have a little dent but it hasn't stop them from going bang.
Old March 25, 2021, 06:35 AM   #12
cecILL

Done many times, also. Never had one go off.
Old March 25, 2021, 01:04 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

"...slow pressure on the press handle..." Yep. Slow and gentle with your regular decapper will pop it out. Most of us have had it happen at least once.
Like Jim says, if the anvil comes out it's toast. Never had that happen myself though.