The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 8, 2020, 01:35 PM   #1
kilotanker22

Brake that does not require a smith to install.

As the title states, are there any good brakes that do not require a smith to install and time? I guess what I am looking for is a brake that I can just screw on, tighten down and be good to go. This is for a Savage model 110 Tactical Desert with 5/8x24 threads.

I really like the brake that came with my Savage 110 High Country, but when inquiring with Savage about purchasing one. They informed me that they will only ship the brake to an FFL, because it needs to be installed and timed by a competent smith. And of course in my immediate area, There are no Gunsmiths anymore. The only one in the area retired some years back and I am not even sure if he is still alive.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old March 8, 2020, 01:52 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

If that's what you want, just have it shipped for an FFL.
They don't have to be a gunsmith.

If you end up with something that doesn't time quite right, there's always the option of sticking a crush washer behind it.
Old March 8, 2020, 02:00 PM   #3
kilotanker22

The one from Savage has taper lock. It appears to tighten from a nut behind the brake on the barrel
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old March 8, 2020, 04:39 PM   #4
dakota.potts

As long as you have a good bench vice (with protective jaws for the barrel) you should be able to install most any brake. You can use a simple shim kit from Brownell's to adjust the timing.

For a 24 thread pitch, each rotation advances roughly .0416" inches. So if you're half a rotation off, you can use a .020" shim. .010" shim for 1/4 rotation off and .05" shim for 1/8th turn etc. Adjusting your torque value will give you a small degree of flexibility to get the timing just right.

You can use a brake with a separate timing nut also like those from APA
Old March 8, 2020, 07:29 PM   #5
kilotanker22

Thanks Dakota, the Brake I want is the same one that is on my High Country. It has a timing nut.

Is "timing" the brake as simple as making sure it is level when the bore and action are plum?
– St. Augustine
Old March 8, 2020, 08:23 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

That's all there is to it - just making sure the brake is aligned in the orientation that you desire.

It can be done via machining, shimming, crushing (tapered threads or crush washer), lock nuts, and more...
Each method, of course, has its own pros and cons.

I prefer a brake timed by machining. But plenty of other methods are viable. (I am, admittedly, not a big fan of tapered threads. It's too easy to squeeze the barrel and constrict the bore.)
Old March 8, 2020, 10:56 PM   #7
kilotanker22

Seems easy enough.
– St. Augustine