The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 11, 2016, 08:56 PM   #1
ditchpanther

Rate This AR15

Never owned an AR before but have shot a few. Looking to get one for myself pretty soon. Opinions on this setup?

Upper:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...lw-kmr-a13.htm

Lower:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-C...mod-0-mail.htm

What do you think?
Old January 11, 2016, 09:03 PM   #2
rickyrick

Don't forget to purchase the BCG an Charging Handle
Old January 11, 2016, 09:11 PM   #3
Vermonter

Use

I mean BCM makes a hell of a rifle. so as long as the configuration fits your use id say your good
Old January 11, 2016, 09:23 PM   #4
marine6680

The deal they have that gives you the BCG and charging handle for like $70 is a great deal. I think the medium and small latch versions are the better size to get for most people and the most common setups, the large may be better when using a larger scope... But personal preference there.

I own two BCMs... They are excellent rifles. Both 16in standard A2 profile CHF barrels. I found them so accurate with match ammo, (1moa or better) that I threw in a two stage trigger and 1-4x scope on one for a RECCE setup.

I would suspect their standard barrels are also excellent, and if you want a light weight profile barrel for your build, then that upper will be a good one for you. The BCM lowers are solid as well. Now they offer their own enhanced trigger, so that is a good way to go.
Old January 11, 2016, 10:27 PM   #5
ditchpanther

Quote:
I own two BCMs... They are excellent rifles. Both 16in standard A2 profile CHF barrels. I found them so accurate with match ammo, (1moa or better) that I threw in a two stage trigger and 1-4x scope on one for a RECCE setup.
Do you own any of the Enhanced Light Weight Upper Receiver Groups? What are the pros and cons to a light weight gun vs pros and cons of a heavy gun.

I plan on using this gun mainly as a fun range gun. But I plan on getting into hunting with it down the road. I live in Minnesota and prime prairie dog hunting is only a few hundred miles away in South Dakota. Also plan on taking some coyotes with it in Western MN eventually.
Old January 11, 2016, 11:17 PM   #6
marine6680

It's not really a hunting rifle setup, but it is accurate enough for hunting at reasonable distances. Test the rifle with a good scope and many different loads, and it may work out and shoot a couple really well.

For general range fun, I usually recommend iron sights or a red dot, unless you like shooting for small groups at range (100yds+), then I think you should get a build setup with that in mind. The BCM 18in Ion bond barrels are good for that type of shooting.

I do not have the lightweight barrels... I can only attest to the quality of the two 16in CHF A2 profile BCM barrels I have. Though I do hear good things about their barrels in general... That they are better than average shooters (relative for ARs) for most people.

As far as barrel profiles...
Broadly speaking... The heavier the barrel, the more material, the better it handles high rates of fire, especially over prolonged periods of time.

Heat is the enemy of a barrel, it causes accelerated wear of the bore. Though most reasonable semi auto fire rates will not pose a problem for a standard A2 profile, should you want to mag dump ten mags in a row, then yes, it can start to matter. Even then, you should manage 10k-15k rounds through a good barrel... Rather than the 20k+ life expectancy of one not abused in that manner.

A light weight barrel may not handle the heat as well in such a situation, but most shooters would have little to worry about. A few isolated mag dumps and average rates of fire will not cause a problem with a light barrel profile.

Some barrels are heavy profile for the added rigidity rather than the thermal mass... More rigidity allows the barrel to be more consistent in how it vibrates during firing, and that aids accuracy.
Old January 12, 2016, 12:48 PM   #7
ditchpanther

Quote:
It's not really a hunting rifle setup, but it is accurate enough for hunting at reasonable distances. Test the rifle with a good scope and many different loads, and it may work out and shoot a couple really well.
What kind of setup would you suggest for hunting? Still planning on sticking with BCM.
Old January 12, 2016, 06:18 PM   #8
bfoosh006

Quote:
Do you own any of the Enhanced Light Weight Upper Receiver Groups? What are the pros and cons to a light weight gun vs pros and cons of a heavy gun.

I plan on using this gun mainly as a fun range gun. But I plan on getting into hunting with it down the road. I live in Minnesota and prime prairie dog hunting is only a few hundred miles away in South Dakota. Also plan on taking some coyotes with it in Western MN eventually.
The BCM Enhanced LtWt barrel profile is great... I have a 14.5 ( w/ flutes ) and a 16" ( w/ flutes ) .... the weight is MUCH more balanced towards the center of the rifle.

I would not hesitate to buy one all over again.

Both mine can shoot around 1.5-2 MOA ( with its favorite ammo ) with just a Red Dot ( off the bench )... I am comfortable that if I put a scope on it, I could easily shrink those groups.

I have yet to run it super hot... the most they have seen in one sitting has been about 150 rounds in 1 hour... so I can not attest to any barrel heat issues.

BCM is VERY GTG.
Old January 12, 2016, 07:05 PM   #9
Road_Clam

Keep in mind those tatci-cool quad rails are great for eye candy but tend to just add wallet bait for the typical recreational shooter. If you think you might want to learn sling shooting fundamentals get a traditional plastic 2 pc handguard. If you think you will be more shooting precision off a rest or bipod then the free floated quad rail or a round tube is fine..
Old January 12, 2016, 07:19 PM   #10
marine6680

Hunting...

I'm not a hunter, but from the builds I see posted from time to time...

For hunting groundhog and coyotes, I would think a 20in barrel at least. Heavy profile, in 223 or wylde chambering, 1/8 or 1/9 twist. A simple tube type handguard like the Hogue, a good comfortable stock and a custom trigger like an SSA-E.

Basically the opposite of the tacticool look.

You could use a quality standard AR to hunt with, so long as it was adequately accurate, it's just not optimum.

I would think that a light profile barrel would exhibit at least some amount of impact shift after several shots are fired from barrel heating.
Old January 12, 2016, 07:50 PM   #11
stagpanther

"America's Rifle" is about the best all-arounder there is--it can do just about anything. ; ) I wouldn't hestitate hunting with it as long as you make sure you know what the ballistics are for the bullet coming out of your rifle and to what ranges they are good for.
Old January 12, 2016, 08:29 PM   #12
rickyrick

I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with a 16incher, provided it is legal wher you live and you stay within your bullet's parameters.
Heck, I hunted with a mini14 in .223 forever.... then one day the internet told me that I was all wrong; at that point I shrugged quizzically and drove on.
Old January 12, 2016, 08:52 PM   #13
Sharkbite

Quote:
If you think you might want to learn sling shooting fundamentals get a traditional plastic 2 pc handguard
Why would you want a 2 pc (non free floated) handguard to use with a loop sling? By definition a forward mounted loop sling will pull on the barrel with that set up
Old January 17, 2016, 11:07 PM   #14
Jayhawkhuntclub

Should be an excellent gun. My BCM is about a 3/4 MOA gun on average. It shoots a few sub 1/2" groups on a somewhat regular basis. Personally, I'd go with the MI handguard version. But the one pictured should be fine.
Old January 18, 2016, 02:39 PM   #15
bfoosh006

For some reason I cannot edit my post...

I wanted to add ... my groups are always at least 10 shoots.
Old January 18, 2016, 02:51 PM   #16
Skadoosh

I actually own this rifle...except the KMR on my rifle is the magnesium rail, not the less expensive aluminum rail.

You will not be disappointed.

Old January 18, 2016, 03:05 PM   #17
stagpanther

radar guided bullets? : )
Old January 18, 2016, 03:08 PM   #18
Skadoosh

It is definitely a target acquisition/illuminator.

Old January 18, 2016, 05:54 PM   #19
raimius

BCM makes good stuff.

For hunting, I would probably favor a light weight set-up. Depending on the ranges/loads you expect to use, 16in or 20in length (longer to get that little extra velocity, or shorter for easier carry/weight).
Old January 18, 2016, 06:33 PM   #20
jaytothekizzay

I built my last AR out of mostly all BCM parts... (everything but stripped lower). It is a sweet shooting rifle. Its a 200 yard yote smasher all day with a 16" barrel. Got a 1 x 4 scope on it now. BCM makes quality kit.

Tags
ar15