The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 11, 2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Dstarver

Old hand vise question

I picked-up this old handvise and am wondering what it was made for. It has proof marking that I no nothing abhandvice.jpg

handvise2.jpg

handvise3.jpgout. Any help would be appreciated.
Old July 11, 2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

I may be wrong, but the stamps looks to be naval ordnance. It looks like its made to either clamp the outside or inside of a part on a slide way, and maybe on a pistol. I've never seen that design, but that don't mean they didn't make it in-house, and never cataloged it.

Added: This design could be used to make an adjustable lap for a slide or a frame. Place some compound in the ways, slightly tighten the tool down in it, and run it forward and back to achieve a lapped surface.

Last edited by Dixie Gunsmithing; July 11, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old July 11, 2013, 11:12 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am not sure it is a hand vise; I think a hand vise would have a knurled knob for more positive tightening . It could be a device made to clean out or straighten grooves, like the grooves in a 1911 slide.

Jim
Old July 13, 2013, 07:46 AM   #4
Dstarver

thanks I would really like to know what it was usaed for.
Old July 13, 2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Dstarver,

I just took a look through several military manuals, and could not find a tool like this listed. They generally have them cataloged, and have detailed prints to recreate each tool. I am pretty sure that is naval ordnance, but it could be for something else than a gun, or even something to do with the linkage between the guns and trigger in planes, who knows?

I asked a friend of mine, who is ex-Navy, and worked in instrument repair on a sub tender, and he had never seen a tool like this, but did mention that they made custom jigs, etc., that were never cataloged. He said that during Nam, they were turning out pot pipes while the CO's back was turned.
Old July 13, 2013, 08:49 PM   #6
smoakingun

the device is for clamping, not spreading. If you look closely you will see that the top screw is perpendicular to the jaw attached to the handle and the the lower screw is perpendicular to the floating jaw.
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old July 15, 2013, 07:07 AM   #7
Dstarver

Old Clamp

Both jaws are loose or float. I stand corrected you are right.
Old July 15, 2013, 08:24 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Showed it to an instructor who said it reminded him of the spreader jaws used to hold a 1911 frame.