The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 11, 2012, 09:45 PM   #1
Will Lee

Extrude Powder & LNL AP Press

Hey Guys,
Looking for an extruded powder that will meter well in an Auto-Progress press. Specifically I looking for something for my 270.

Thanks
Will
Old May 11, 2012, 10:29 PM   #2
David Wile

Hey Will,

Extruded powders may be great for one's particular use, but they are not conducive to effective use in our progressive loaders. Extruded powders simply do not meter well enough for progressive loading. Ball and flake powders generally meter much more consistently, and that is all-important in progressive reloading.

When I use extruded powder, I always throw an under-charge from my powder measure and then trickle it up to my desired weight. If I load 45-70 cartridges in the field with an old Nutcracker tool, I dip my extruded powder charge without weighing. However, my dipped charges are at the lower end of the charge range, and I do not have to worry about dipping a "hot" charge.

I simply do not think extruded powders are a good choice for progressive loading.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Last edited by David Wile; May 11, 2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: to correct my spelling
Old May 11, 2012, 10:46 PM   #3
Will Lee

Quote:
Hey Will,

Extruded powders may be great for one's particular use, but they are not conducive to effective use in our progressive loaders. Extruded powders simply do not meter well enough for progressive loading. Ball and flake powders generally meter much more consistantly, and that is all-important in progressive reloading.

When I use extruded powder, I always throw an under-charge from my powder measure and then trickle it up to my desired weight. If I load 45-70 cartridges in the field with an old Nutcracker tool, I dip my extruded powder charge without weighing. However, my dipped charges are at the lower end of the charge range, and I do not have to worry about dipping a "hot" charge.

I simply do not think extruded powders are a good choice for progressive loading.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Hello Dave, Yea, I found that out when I got the LNL AP several month ago. Been loading ball powder and getting good results. But going back for the past 40 years I've always used extruded powders for large calibers. Just curious if any of the members have found an extruded powder that will throw +/- .1 of the desired charge in an AP.

Thanks for your input,
Will
Old May 11, 2012, 11:06 PM   #4
jmorris

I picked up one just because you read how much better it is than the Dillon measure with extruded powders (and i had a 20# keg of 30310 given to me). Long story short it didn't like it any better than the others. On the bright side there are other choices that work in progressives and have great results.