The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 2, 2012, 08:38 AM   #1
thallub

OK Teenager Kills Intruder

An Oklahoma teenage mom was attacked by an intruder who broke into her home. The guy was armed with a 12" butcher knife. She shot the perp dead.

http://www.koco.com/news/30114963/detail.html

Quote:
BLANCHARD, Okla. -- .......................................................................

Sarah McKinley was at home with her baby son when, police said, Justin Martin broke into her home and pursued her with a 12-inch knife.

She shot and killed Martin.

Another man, Dustin Stewart, was arrested in connection with the break-in.
Old January 2, 2012, 08:51 AM   #2
tlm225

Maybe the coroner will rule this one a natural death.
Old January 2, 2012, 09:52 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Love her last statement... Sounds like our own "Cornered Cat" Pax...

"Nothin' more dangerous than a momma with her baby..."

Or some similar verbiage...

Brent
Old January 2, 2012, 10:57 AM   #4
Mr Dish

Thats the way a True American does it. On the phone for 20 minutes waiting for the 'authorities to come and protect her' wasn't cutting it so she did what wat necessary. Her son is going to be very proud of her as he grows older. She gave him life and then protected his life again. GOOD FOR HER.
Old January 2, 2012, 10:59 AM   #5
MTT TL

This reads much better than "Teenage Mother Raped and Killed by Unknown Intruders".
Old January 2, 2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Alaska444

Sad occurrence taking a life but completely justified. Glad she knew how to use the 12 ga. The pistol may not have stopped the creep fast enough. She did everything correctly.

Great police response!! NOT!!
Old January 2, 2012, 02:59 PM   #7
TheGoldenState

Great.

Question,

If she (or any person under 21) were to use a parents pistol in a home/self defense situation like this, would there be any type of backlash?

They didn't say what happened to bad guy #2.
Old January 2, 2012, 03:12 PM   #8
Young.Gun.612

In many states you can be given a pistol as a gift under the age of 21. So unless possession of a handgun by a person under 21 is expressly forbidden I don't see a problem.
Old January 2, 2012, 03:38 PM   #9
Technosavant

Quote:
If she (or any person under 21) were to use a parents pistol in a home/self defense situation like this, would there be any type of backlash?
I imagine it could run afoul of "safe storage" laws like those in California, but I am not even certain how that law is written. If the requirement is to keep it secured from people of an age of X and below, if the teenager is at or below age X, there might be a problem if the authorities want to make one. I could certainly be wrong though.
Old January 2, 2012, 03:55 PM   #10
nate45

Speaking of the number 21, I don't know how accurate the info is but, some of the facebook commentaries at the bottom of the story are saying it took police 21 minutes to arrive. Lucky she wasn't of the I don't need a gun the police will save me mindset.
Old January 2, 2012, 04:49 PM   #11
Alaska444

Hmm, she is married and widowed, living independently and a mother. Sounds pretty much like an adult in every manner. I believe the headline is misleading. This is not just a kid, she is an adult in any manner you would note and did a very adult action protecting her child in a level headed manner. Mother, wife, widow, emancipated. Sorry, she sure seems like an adult to me.
Old January 2, 2012, 04:51 PM   #12
TheGoldenState

Quote:
Hmm, she is married and widowed, living independently and a mother. Sounds pretty much like an adult in every manner. I believe the headline is misleading. This is not just a kid, she is an adult in any manner you would note and did a very adult action protecting her child in a level headed manner. Mother, wife, widow, emancipated. Sorry, she sure seems like an adult to me.

She is 18, she is legally (and literally as you pointed out) an adult. Technically she also falls into the "teen" category for another year.
Old January 2, 2012, 05:20 PM   #13
hermannr

OK has some really goofy gun laws as pertain to a minor (under 18) and pistols, but this young lady should be fine
Old January 2, 2012, 05:40 PM   #14
thallub

Blanchard, OK lies in two rural counties; Grady and McClain.

Relying on the police for protection in rural OK can get you killed graveyard dead. One must be able to take care of problems as they arise. The county i live in is larger than Rhode Island. There are two deputies on duty after normal working hours. One patrols in the eastern half of the county, the other in the west. It may be a long time before a deputy arrives.
Old January 2, 2012, 06:03 PM   #15
kraigwy

Poor young lady just lost her husband on Christmas to cancer. She didn't need this.

She done good, but unless you live in a wierd state, there is no law that says a 18 yard old can't have even a handgun in her home or the home of her parents.

In Wyoming, you always see kids driving around with rifles in the gun rack of their pickups.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 2, 2012, 06:08 PM   #16
jgcoastie

Glad she and her baby are okay.

Terrible circumstances in this story, all around.

Poor lass had been through enough without them two chuckleheads attempting to do her and her baby harm. One of the perps got what they deserved.

This comment (paraphrased) made me chuckle in spite of the tragedy of the events: "I was on the phone with 911 and they told me I couldn't shoot 'em 'til they came through the door."
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old January 2, 2012, 06:14 PM   #17
C0untZer0

The three things that stick out for me is

1) I'm wondering what her German Shepherd was doing? I've had German Shepherds my whole life and they have always been great gaurd dog. We had a guy try to break into our house when my dad was on a business trip and my Shepherd tried to rip his throat out through the screen door - the screen saved him actually.

But even if that dog was a big coward (which I doubt), the dog must have been barking. What does that tell you about the attackers?

2) Another example of 12ga one shot stop. When people on this forum talk about what is the best HD weapon, people invariably mention the shotgun, but when there are threads about "which weapon is your goto gun" or similar titles - a lot of people mention everything from their Kel-Tecs, and Glocks to .44 magnums. I would just think the shotgun would be THE goto home defense weapon except for some rare cases.

3) Another example of how a DGU ultimately results in no criminal at large in the end.
Old January 2, 2012, 06:37 PM   #18
jimbob86

Quote:
OK has some really goofy gun laws as pertain to a minor (under 18) and pistols, but this young lady should be fine
What is goofy about them?
Old January 2, 2012, 09:09 PM   #19
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Quote:
1) I'm wondering what her German Shepherd was doing?
A friend had a German shepherd that was loud, but chicken-hearted. He moved to Chicago after school, and lived in a second-story apartment with a walkway along the front. One day, some self-appointed genius tried to open the door with a screw driver. The dog bark-bark-barked up a storm, (probably from under a chair.) The self-appointed genius reared back, somehow fell over the walkway railing, and ended up with broken bones in the parking lot below. My friend arrived home from work just as the police were completing the investigation. The dog had been barking its head off the whole while, of course, but would no more have attacked an intruder than have played a few hands of poker with him.
Old January 2, 2012, 10:49 PM   #20
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
They didn't say what happened to bad guy #2.
The article I read did. Perp #2 (who was in his mid-20s) ran away, called his mommy and daddy, and they drove him to the police station where he turned himself in.

The article I read said the German shepherds had been killed previously, and there was a suggestion that "the authorities" might think the dogs were killed to clear the way for the home invasion.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; January 3, 2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old January 2, 2012, 11:02 PM   #21
Dwight55

Quote:
Sarah McKinley was at home with her baby son when, police said, Justin Martin broke into her home and pursued her with a 12-inch knife.

She shot and killed Martin.
That's a good story to start out the year with, . . . glad she had what it takes to protect herself.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old January 3, 2012, 06:12 PM   #22
jimpeel

OK woman shoots, kills, intruder

In the video a firearms law attorney states that she was well within her rights to kill the intruder. She called the PD and told them to hurry as they were kicking down the door. At the point the guy kicked it in and entered, she shot him and his accomplice ran off (likely happy he was not the first one through the door).

VIDEO LINK

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old January 3, 2012, 06:21 PM   #23
nate45

Bless her heart, I hate she had to go through that. At least she didn't have to go through the alternative.
Old January 3, 2012, 06:32 PM   #24
mehavey

There's a lot more to this than simple home invasion.

http://www.newson6.com/story/1642721...-home-invasion

Read all the comments going back & forth on the circumstances and lead-in.
Old January 3, 2012, 07:16 PM   #25
MLeake

I think this is a duplicate of the "Oklahoma Teenager" thread.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473739