The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 13, 2011, 02:59 PM   #1
bryan-b

Rebore with more rifling for better accuracy?

A guy wants to trade me a Remington 700 30-06 that has been rebored, same caliber, but with more rifling, I've never heard of this before, can anybody give me some info on it? Should I even touch this gun? Thanks -Bryan
Old November 13, 2011, 04:12 PM   #2
HiBC

First,let me say I intend no disrespect in my response.You have already told us you are in unfamiliar territory.

There are some "Well,gee,it could be he means....." paths I could go down,
But as it is,your question does not add up to anything real world that I know of.

There is either a communication gap between you and the seller,or the blind lead the blind.

There is such a thing as reboring-re-rifling for shot out or damaged bores.If that is done,a 30-06 does not remain a 30-06.It becomes a 338-06 or a 35 Whelen.The bore must get larger.

I doubt anyone is cutting a new rifling groove down the middle of the existing lands.

Ask the seller to re-explain it in front of a gunsmith.

And,likely,no,I would not buy it.Unless you really know what you are seeing,I'd stay away from anything "special" that someone wants to get rid of.

Now,if he meant rebarrelled,that is a whole new ball game than rebored.
Old November 13, 2011, 04:28 PM   #3
bryan-b

Thanks for the response, i tried to get more info about it and it was one of those deals where his dad had it done and he wasn't sure. But that was exactly how he described it, more rifling was cut in the bore for better accuracy. I think he might be mistaken, it may be a alright rifle, but i decided to turn it down to be safe. Thanks for your help
Old November 13, 2011, 06:42 PM   #4
GURU1911

Good decision bryan!!!!

Stay plugged into our forum. Us old guys can keep you out of a lot of trouble. I have 50 years of firearms experience to back-up any advice i offer to you.

Forum members who have been dedicated to the shooting sports, do a great job keeping fellow members from making bad, unsafe, impractical, or illogical decisions.

Guru1911
Old November 13, 2011, 09:29 PM   #5
Nathan

I would look at it. Maybe it was rebarreled. Frankly, reboring sounds like he has no clue. Reboring is for special projects where both shooting the gun and keeping the barrel matter.
Old November 13, 2011, 09:51 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

It would not be impossible to cut the grooves deeper, but I am willing to bet a few shekels that nothing like that was done. I have no idea what was done, but I think you did the right thing in turning down the trade.

Jim
Old November 14, 2011, 02:15 AM   #7
10-96

Well hold on a minute. If there's any way to get the rifle for $200 or less- it could be worth your time, effort, and $$ to make the purchse for the receiver/action/stock/etc and have a unquestionable barrel put on by a reputable GS.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 14, 2011, 01:07 PM   #8
Jerry45

^ You beat me to it. Sooner or later I'm going to get another 700 action, for the right price, to build a rifle on.
Old November 15, 2011, 02:23 AM   #9
HiBC

Gentlemen;If someone with knowledge and experience,and an idea of a project to build finds a bargain rifle to work with,Great!!

I do not get the impression that is the ideal path for our OP.

I could be wrong,but seems a "bargain of opportunity"came along.That is great if you know what it is and if it is something you are looking for.

OP,before this "deal" came along,did you have your mind set on a 30-06 rifle?

The OP said nothing about price,so I do not know where $200 came from.

We do not know,this rifle may have a high grade,well fitted barrel in it,or not.

If our OP has to ask his question,and if our OP has decided to buy himself a rifle,then I suggest he re-state his question.

Gun "bargains" are like water in a river...there is more upstream coming toward you.

What does your friend want to trade from you?
Old November 15, 2011, 05:18 PM   #10
nogo

I say pass on this deal and then run.