The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 14, 2011, 12:17 AM   #1
praetorian97

Pro Auto Disk Powder

Setting up my new Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder Measurer. My charge is varying 24.3-24.7 grains. Should I worry? Speer book says range is 24.0-26.0. Only making plinking .223-5.56 rounds. But I worry about the range throwing my grouping off. I shoot at clays 40-100 yards out.
Old August 14, 2011, 12:37 AM   #2
Jim243

That does seem a bit much, mine will vary by about 0.1 to 0.2 grains. You are well under the max load, so that is not an issue.

What powder are you using, Auto-Disks do not like flake powder at all.

On the bottom of your powder resurve on Pro-Auto Disk is a small foam "Wipe" that rides between the disk and the resurve, make sure it is in properly and clean. You may want to wash it???? I have 5 on hand at all times, they are cheap to purchase from Lee.

Jim

Here's a trick that I picked up from the guy that got me into reloading. On the top of the powder put three body washers spread out on top to give a consistant pressure on the powder. (it works) Also wipe down the plastic parts with a used fabric sheet so there is no static cling. And do not wipe the inside of the powder measure, leave the graphite film on the sides, it will help the powder to flow.

Last edited by Jim243; August 15, 2011 at 12:14 AM.