The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 14, 2011, 06:28 PM   #1
Tex S

Lee Hand Press for loading at the range

I have quite a few bullet/powder combos I need to try for various pistol calibers. It is a waste of time for me to load up many different bullets and powder charges and drive to the range only to find out they don't meet my velocity or accuracy requirements.

Because of this, I am considering purchasing a Lee Hand Press to make test ammo onsite at the range. I figure everything I will need should fit in a small toolbox. Lee dippers should work great for this task, and I could verify the charge weights they dispense on my digitals before I head out to load/shoot. If I load small quantities of straight walled pistol ammo, I think the hand press would be fine. After I find a good load, I can go home and load in mass quantities on my LCTP.

I'll need to take the following items with me...
Components
Hand press
Load blocks
Calipers
Dippers
Dies
Load data
Funnel

That should do it, right?

Oh, by the way, I have an RCBS hand priming tool that I could use, but I am not sure if Lee's Ram Prime would be just as effective/efficient. Anybody familiar with the Ram Prime?

Last edited by Tex S; February 14, 2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: added the part about the Ram Prime
Old February 14, 2011, 06:48 PM   #2
GP100man

now ya talkin !!

I do it like this , size,prime & flare cases weither handgun or rifle !

put my powder(s)scales ,little jar & dipper ,oh yeah bullets in a box ,but I have a Lee aluminum Challenger press mounted on a peice of 2x8 , clamp it to the table or sit on it on the tailgate ,I just need 1 die the seater.

Funnel & loading manual , note book & pencil .

Faster & easier building a ladder that way than havin a bunch to pull !!!!

When I go to the pay range I usually get alot of onlookers , very few ask questions !!
Old February 14, 2011, 07:32 PM   #3
M.O.A.

sounds good to me

the lee hand press is all i use to load with and i turnout 100 223s at a time works great
Old February 14, 2011, 08:24 PM   #4
9x23win

I'm also thinking of getting a Lee hand press for strictly range use. It would definitely help me save time and trips to the range while doing load development.
Old February 14, 2011, 08:28 PM   #5
HawkeyeNRAlifer

I've never used the Lee Ram Prime, but I've loaded tens of thousands of primers back in the day with Lee's little hand primer.
Old February 14, 2011, 09:17 PM   #6
flashhole

I take my Lee Classic Turret to the range. The range officer helped me drill 3 mounting holes in one of the shooting benches. I use bolts and wing nuts to secure it to the bench. It draws a crowd when I set it up and load right at the range.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old February 14, 2011, 11:03 PM   #7
hk33ka1

I have a Lee hand press and I do like it, but....

I would rather use a bench or table mounted press most of the time so once I have a case full of powder in the shellholder I can leave it there while I grab a bullet etc.. Instead of trying not to spill the powder/tip the press.

I am going to get a Lee Reloader, their cheapest press and try mounting it to my folding shooting bench with wingnuts.
Old February 15, 2011, 02:09 AM   #8
HiBC

I do this myself sometimes.I take primed brass.That Lee hand press works good with a universal decapper,also,at home before tumbling
I have seen a version advertised with the breech lock system,which may be handy for handgun ammo,depending on how you want to crimp.I'm thinking the quickchange preset dies might be handy.
Its true,a c-clamp or wingnut bench type press may have some advantages.
If you are going to use scales,any breeze is an issue.
Sure is nice to have a scale and a powder measure available,and a chronograph,too!
Old February 15, 2011, 03:50 AM   #9
chris in va

I did it once, the wind blew my powder everywhere. Otherwise it was fine for that purpose.
Old February 15, 2011, 08:16 AM   #10
spacecoast

I've used my Ram Prime to prime over 10,000 rounds since Nov. 09, and it works just fine. It was included in my hand press kit along with funnel and lube IIRC. Very minor issues - large primers can have a tendency to flip upside down at times, which is annoying, so they require a little more care. Also, the part that holds the priming pin can get a little loose, a bit of a squeeze with pliers will fix that, but don't narrow the gap too much or you won't be able to get the pin in/out easily.
Old February 15, 2011, 11:16 PM   #11
BigJakeJ1s

My Lee Hand Press is misaligned between ram and die hole, and has lots of spring in the frame. I switched to the Huntington Compac hand press. MUCH better. Tighter, smoother, more accurate and rigid, and stronger. Built in primer punch. I put a small circular base on mine so it will stand up on its own.

Andy
Old February 16, 2011, 10:11 AM   #12
spacecoast

Quote:
I put a small circular base on mine so it will stand up on its own.
Excellent idea, thanks.