The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 12, 2010, 06:32 PM   #1
golfnutrlv

Powder Measures

Hi everyone. I'm interested in finding a better powder measure.

Right now, i'm using the RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure, with not very good results. No matter what I try, it will not throw consistent charges, and I spend a ton of time adjusting the screw, and adjusting the charges with a powder trickler.

What do you seasoned loaders suggest for a better one? Does not matter if it's press mounted or not. I would prefer digital, and good quality, though I know they are expensive.

Give me some suggestions.

Thanks,
Old June 12, 2010, 06:45 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

It's not how you adjust it. It's how you operate the powder measure. Each swing of the handle has to be the same. If you tap the at the end of the throw do it the same way each time.

I think some one has a pdf file with diagrams for powder baffles so there is a constant weight of powder on the metering chamber each time it is filled.

My cheap way out is to order a pizza, the little plastic thingy that holds up the box lid does the same thing. Make sure you wash it first, powder likes to stick to the grease
Old June 12, 2010, 07:14 PM   #3
TXGunNut

What kind of powder, golfnut? A consistent delivery method with a tap (I do 2) @ each end of the throw is important but some powders just meter better than others. Ball meters better than stick, short stick meters better than long. For load development the Lee scoops are very useful, amazing how accurate they can be with a practiced eye. I use a store-bought baffle in my RCBS measure but can't recall who makes it.
Old June 12, 2010, 07:40 PM   #4
golfnutrlv

Alliant Unique, and Hogdon Varget are my culprits.

I tried to even out my tap system a little, and it helped some, but it's still inconsistent.

Thanks
Old June 12, 2010, 07:47 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Unique can be problematic in just about any volumetric powder measure. I stopped using it years ago because of that issue.

Also, try a powder baffle in your measure. This keeps pressure on the powder at the rotor constant, resulting in better consistency.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 12, 2010, 08:37 PM   #6
billcarey

My suggestion is to change powders. I use ball and it meters perfectly in my Uniflow with the small cylinder. Even at 2.3 grains with Accurate #2 it throws accurate loads.
Old June 12, 2010, 08:53 PM   #7
TXGunNut

Story is that Varget in a shortened version of IMR 4064 to facilitate use in powder measures. I weigh all my rifle loads so it's not an issue for me. I use ball powder in all my pistol loads these days. Unique is a good powder but 231seems to work better in my Dillon 550's measure. Thanks to Mr Irwin, I now know why.
Old June 12, 2010, 09:05 PM   #8
golfnutrlv

OK guys, makes sense. Now I just need to find a powder that is available in a ball or sphere style.

Will be used for 115 gr 9mm loads, 90 and 95 grain .380 loads for the most part.

Any suggesstions?? (BTW, do not suggest Win 231. Finding it around my area is like looking for the pot of gold under the rainbow. Hint, you never do find it)
Old June 12, 2010, 09:12 PM   #9
TXGunNut

Hodgdon (currently distributing Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester powders) replaced 231 with something else, saw a thread on that around here somewhere. 452AA was pretty close but I'm curious about the replacement powder.
Old June 12, 2010, 10:26 PM   #10
mrawesome22

Quote:
I would prefer digital, and good quality, though I know they are expensive.
Do you mean you want a ChargeMaster?
Old June 12, 2010, 10:49 PM   #11
Mr Kris

Did you take apart the measure and clean it the first time you used it? It would be a good idea to degrease everything to remove any residual oils that may be around from manufacturing or storage. Dry carbon lube if needed.
Old June 12, 2010, 11:07 PM   #12
medalguy

Try Accurate #2 or #5. They both measure wonderfully.
Old June 12, 2010, 11:11 PM   #13
furtaker

I recently bought a chargemaster 1500, absolutely love it!!!! Throws very accurate loads with the 6 different powders i've used. Well worth the money imo!!!
Old June 12, 2010, 11:24 PM   #14
billcarey

Can you get Accurate powder locally? I've been using Accurate #2 & #5...either will do the 380 & 9mm...but Accurate #7 is the heavy hitter for the 9mm. The only thing I don't like about #2 is the small loads...less margin of error than #5 or #7. If you want one specific powder per caliber I'd chose #5 for the 380 and #7 for the 9. If you want one powder to do both I'd chose #5.

The downside (to me anyway) of using Accurate powder is the lack of loading data and the fact that they revised the powders around 2004 but didn't change the names. The old #2 & #5 used larger loads than the current #2 & #5 do. It's a good idea to double check loading references to make sure they have the new values. I call Accurate and they confirm or calculate the loads for me.
Old June 13, 2010, 12:52 AM   #15
Archie

Pardon me for bucking the trend here...

But your RCBS Uniflow is probably as good as any for your purpose.

Have you properly tested the resulting ammunition for accuracy and consistency? I've found over time the powder charge is less important than commonly thought. How much variation do you get from charge to charge? A variation of .1-.3 grains will not seriously affect the accuracy of typical 9x19 ammunition.

Prior to spending more money on more gizmos (and I have lots of gizmos, trust me) you might see about the current results.
Old June 13, 2010, 06:28 AM   #16
Peter M. Eick

If you are using a powder baffle, and you are keeping the measure full you should be able to throw unique +/- 0.1 grn regularly. Have you practiced and experimented much with your technique? Is the measure old and has it "worn" in? Are you using the small micrometer screw?

I know I am switching back to Unique now after many years of experimenting with other powders because it works so well. My main Uniflow is on my Pro2000 and with the small micrometer I am getting great results.

Mine has been used heavily though. It has now thrown over a quarter million charges so it is quite smooth. I really notice the difference when I move to my rifle one which has the large micrometer screw. It is definitely rougher which I attribute to lack of use.
Old June 13, 2010, 07:50 AM   #17
wncchester

All measures get more consistant with user skill and consistancy in operating them.

All of the iron bodied measures are virtually identical but many feel the Reddings are perhaps the best among equals. None of the iron bodied measures can possibly be highly consistant with coarse powders but they all do great with smaller powders. None of them can handle thin flake powders very well, they get bits of powder binding in the drum.

Lee's little "Perfect" powder measure may well be the most consistant available for coarse powders due to it's internal design. User ability to properly adjust the plastic drum is required for it to work well with ball powders without leaking some around the drum, not a real problem but agrivating.

IF you are leaning towards a digital dumpster you probably won't be fully satisfied very long with anything else.
Old June 13, 2010, 08:54 AM   #18
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Make yourself a baffle from an aluminum can and see if she works any better , easy to make and very effective !
Old June 13, 2010, 09:38 AM   #19
brickeyee

Make sure there is a baffle in the reservoir and you are using the correct cylinder.

Small charge need a small cylinder for any accuracy.

The 'as supplied' cylinder is often the large (rifle) cylinder.

The micrometer heads go a long way towards reliable setting and control.
Old June 13, 2010, 12:27 PM   #20
billcarey

I put an RCBS baffle in my Uniflow and it hasn't made a measurable difference in 100s of checks with Accurate #2 & #5. I've always filled the powder halfway and seen little change with or without the baffle. Maybe the baffles work best with flake and stick powder?
Old June 13, 2010, 01:52 PM   #21
Edward429451

How can two old hands get such wildly different results with Unique in a Uniflow? That baffles me. I get .1 to .2 accuracy with Unique and my Uniflow depending on my stroke...if your measure is new then you need to stick with it and make sure you are using the correct cylinder, and everything is clean and dry. Then all you need to do is to throw 100K throws or so and you will know that measure inside n out
Old June 13, 2010, 02:08 PM   #22
colospgsAVID

I use a Lee Perfect Powder measure. With every stroke being smooth and deliberate, it throws dead on every time. I use a RCBS 502 scale to check every 10th charge.
Old June 13, 2010, 02:26 PM   #23
golfnutrlv

Thanks for the input everyone. Going to work on my stroke some, and just try to adjust a little more finely.
Old June 13, 2010, 05:30 PM   #24
Peter M. Eick

I saw a suggestion one time to put a eccentric weight motor on the uniflow like a fish pump and have it vibrate all the time. That is supposed to make unique flow more uniformly. For my purposes I don't see it but then again, I have little trouble with unique in my worn uniflow.

As was mentioned above. Throw a 100k were of charges with it. If you keep experimenting, you will get the technique that works for you down eventually.
Old June 13, 2010, 08:09 PM   #25
Sport45

Quote:
Alliant Unique, and Hogdon Varget are my culprits.
I don't have Varget, so can't help there. I do use a lot of Unique. I quit trying to get single charge consistency a long time ago. These days I will set the measure by throwing 3-5 charges at a time into a powder pan or large case and going for a consistent average.

For instance, if I want 8.0gr for .45 Colt, I'll adjust the measure so that 4 throws weigh 32gr +/- 0.2gr or so. I find that to be a lot less frustrating than trying to get single throws to fall within +/- 0.1gr.