The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 3, 2010, 10:38 AM   #1
gotigers

belts for conceal

What belt do you have? what material; leather, nylon? width; 1-1/2", 1-3/4"?

Do you use a real gun belt, a good designer belt or any belt you grab?

Where do you buy your carry belt?
Old March 3, 2010, 12:24 PM   #2
The Great Mahoo

I have a few belts, some more expensive than others.

I picked up some sturdy 1&1/2" belts at Tractor Supply a few years back. They are thick, and rugged, but still not the best to hang a heavy gun on. I bought them a bit larger than I need, and use them for IWB carry where there isn't much stress on the belt. I think I paid $15-25 for each of them.

I also have a double-thick custom belt from K&D leather. Its fantastic and does a great job at keeping any OWB holsters from sagging over under the weight of the firearm. This had to be custom ordered and was a bit more expensive, though. I'd like to get another one, in black to match my brown, but haven't gotten around to it.

I prefer the 1-12" belts; they fit most pants, holster/gear, and offer great support. I stick with leather, as I like the look and it gets the job done.
Old March 3, 2010, 12:32 PM   #3
rantingredneck

I have three good gun belts.

1) Double layer horsehide from www.thebeltman.net 1.5". This one gets worn the most and is by far the highest quality and most stiff. It's a great carry belt.

2) Instructor's belt from Wilderness Tactical (www.thewilderness.com). This one I use when I'm camping/fishing/hunting/hiking. Mostly anywhere where I might end up getting head to toe wet and not want to mess up good leather gear. It's a good carry belt, but not a great carry belt.

3) Carry belt from Crossbreed Holsters (www.crossbreedholsters.com). It's a good carry belt and I bought it on sale and a little bigger than my other belts to allow use of an IWB like the Crossbreed with the velcro clips. It's a good carry belt and useful with the matching holsters (I have 3), but it's not what I would call a great carry belt. The beltman horse is superior (but also more expensive).
Old March 3, 2010, 10:21 PM   #4
wally626

Had a single layer 1.5-inch leather belt and switched to a double layer bullhide belt from The Beltman, it is a great belt. I do not carry much but I wear the belt everyday. The only issue I had was my holster's belts loops were a touch to short for the thickness of the belt. I made a composite plate the same dimensions as the belt and remolded the loops (by wetting them and letting them dry around the plate) to fit the belt, and everything works great now.

I plan on eventually getting another belt from them someday in brown, probably one with the texturing. The do have sales on pre-made belts but if you are built like me definitely had to go custom.
Old March 4, 2010, 06:16 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

gimme a belt

I have a tan 1.75" Bianchi B21 that is 18 years old.
My favorite is a black 1.5" Hellweg.
I also bought a black 1.5" Don Hume (for about half the cost of the Hellweg) but its color hasn't held up nearly as well as the Hellweg (which is ten years older).
Old March 4, 2010, 08:03 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

For just about any gun, you need a belt designed as a gun belt.

I have two, a Ross that lasted about a year before it broke down and a Beltman.

The Ross cost about $60 and was okay for the money.

My current belt is a 1.5" horsehide from The Beltman. That belt is awesome. It's a couple of years old and hasn't lost any of its stiffness.

The Beltman doesn't make inexpensive belts, but if you are serious about carry, and carry a heavier gun, you'll find his belts are invaluable.

www.thebeltman.net
Old March 4, 2010, 07:16 PM   #7
rsxr22

I use a 5.11 operator for competition and concealed carry. I know many people will have a problem with that, but i have always gotten by with it.
My dress belt is also very thick and conceals my carry guns well enough when i am dressed up. One day i will get a good leather one for more casual dress
Old March 4, 2010, 07:20 PM   #8
alloy

1-3/4 Bianchi ranger belt I think it's 6 years old, worn every day and tough as nails. Possibly two layers throughout, looks like it might need the small section replaced in a couple of years. One day I'll get another one.
Old March 4, 2010, 10:34 PM   #9
ruhip

I picked up a wilderness belt with a plastic buckle for the airport shuffle..good gun belt
Old March 10, 2010, 10:31 AM   #10
gotigers

Anyone use the Spec-ops Better BDU belt? http://www.specopsbrand.com/ProductD...p?ProductID=53
Old March 10, 2010, 11:05 AM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Anyone use the Spec-ops Better BDU belt?

It looks quite a bit like the Galco Instructors belt, which I've heard good things about. Some people have said that those belts "look like CCW belts", the implications being that people will assume you're carrying a gun if they see that belt, but I'm pretty sure that "normal" people just think "belt", if they think anything at all.
Old March 10, 2010, 01:04 PM   #12
foghorn leghorn

I got one from outdoorbunker, had the quick disconnect buckle, and the velcro.
its kind of noisy, the velcro crackles.
Old March 10, 2010, 08:50 PM   #13
hknut

I have a Ted Blocker (out of Portland Ore) leather concealed carry belt. It has a thin metal strip sewn between 2 strips of leather. The only problem is if you wear it thru metal detectors you will have to remove your belt everytime.