The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 17, 2009, 06:15 PM   #1
Blue Grass

Bullet Shortage

Here in Central Kentucky we're finally getting some gun powder on the shelves. Also there are a few primers here and therefor about $35-40 per K. What has become very hard to find is bullets. Common calibers such as .223, 243, 7mm, and .308 are not to be found. I haven't seen a bag og Win or Rem bulk bullets since before the Obamanation of America. Are you guys in the rest of the country finding any bullets?
Old December 17, 2009, 06:36 PM   #2
That'll Do

I haven't had any trouble getting bullets, with the exception of Speer Gold Dot HP's in 38 cal for my 357 Magnum. Other than that, I haven't had any problems.
Old December 17, 2009, 07:04 PM   #3
mapsjanhere

Your store is playing games with you, they got primers in and decided "hey, we can't have them think we're back to normal, and they only have to come in once a month. Let's hide the bullets."
Old December 17, 2009, 07:08 PM   #4
Andy Griffith

I have no problem finding components here in GA...

Finding them at affordable prices is the problem!

I suggest casting your own, if possible.

The powder/primer problem is much better.
There are stores that have never stocked components before...are stocking them now.
Prices will come down as the pipeline fills gradually.
Old December 17, 2009, 07:25 PM   #5
Rembrandt

Sounds like stores in your area don't have very deep pockets....any store that has some buying power can get reloading components. No shortage in the midwest....
Old December 17, 2009, 08:04 PM   #6
Edward429451

I do have a bullet shortage. I am still below 10K so I really have to go cast some more
Old December 18, 2009, 05:19 AM   #7
Stargazer

I went looking for some 300 grain jacketed pistol bullets. Went to Sierra's web site and they have an on line store. Even in their own store Sierra was sold out of almost ALL pistol bullets. I emailed them to ask why they had none. I got a reply the next day apologizing for the outage but they said they had not produced ANY pistol bullets in like 8-9 months now and it would be late 2010 before they produced any more due to commited runs they had for other type bullets.