The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 14, 2009, 04:29 PM   #1
spacecoast

Frankford Arsenal bullet puller - review

I bought one of these handy pullers ($13 I think) and used it over the weekend to pull 50 rounds of .357 mag. Some required only 4 or 5 shots with the hammer, others required 11 or 12 (Berry's bullets). It helps to do it in a well-lighted room, so that when the bullet starts getting close to falling you can see that fact through the dark blue plastic and back off a little to avoid spraying powder around. It's kind of amazing that the plastic is tough enough to withstand a hard pounding that might damage some wimpy hammers.

The Frankford puller has a metal arm, which is a plus. I have heard that others are somewhat flexible, which would seem to be counter-productive. It also comes with three sets of dies to pull anything from .22 up to .45 IIRC. A very nice tool for the $$$.

Last edited by spacecoast; December 14, 2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old December 14, 2009, 08:46 PM   #2
5R milspec

puller

I have one and love it.but for me it only takes me about three hits to pull a bullet.but I am not crimping my bullets.but like the puller.and you might want to put a pice of tape on top of the cap to keep the powder from flying all over the place.
Old December 15, 2009, 05:05 AM   #3
Hook686

How do you have your bullet puller set for, "spraying powder around" ? I use the Frankford impact bullet puller and use it for .357 magnum. The .357 magnum is a rimmed case cartridge and has never fallen through the collet. The rimmed case seems to seal the opening after the bullet is pulled in my unit. Like with 5R, it only seems to take me 2, or 3 wacks to pull the bullet.

Are you using the correct collet ?
Old December 15, 2009, 07:57 AM   #4
spacecoast

Yes, it's the correct collet, but there are gaps between the segments of the collet where powder can come out if you raise the mallet quickly when the bullet has already fallen. As for the # of hits, I generally err on the side of caution and like to proceed slowly with the process. I'm sure I could give it a harder thump and reduce the # of impacts. I'm sure it also varies by bullet and the amount the case has been expanded prior to seating.
Old December 16, 2009, 04:42 PM   #5
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Just IMHO, but I have never liked the experience I've had the times I used one of the hammer type bullet pullers.

Been awhile, so hope the quality has improved, a lot!

I did however, invest in a Hornady pullet and collets for most everything I might need and personaly find it to be a much better option.

In cases where there is a lead bullet with little or no bullet surface for the Hornady collet to grip, the hammer might be the only option, but for me, other then that seldom if ever faced problem, it will always be a distant second in quality and operation.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol Coot
Old December 19, 2009, 12:54 AM   #6
madd0c

Just for info, you can forget the collets that come with the puller and slide the shell holder from your press for the particular case into the place the collet would go. Works much better, but you do have to tighten the top if it take more than one whack to unseat the bullet.
madd0c
Old December 19, 2009, 06:46 AM   #7
spacecoast

Great tip, I'm sure I'll be trying that sometime.
Old December 19, 2009, 01:52 PM   #8
chris in va

Huh, isn't that a kick in the head. I tried my shell holder on my RCBS kinetic puller and the thing fits perfectly!