The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 11, 2009, 08:25 PM   #1
yggorf

Good 1911 gunsmithing books?

Other than the Kuhnhausen volume I and II books, what other excellent 1911 smithing books are out there. I'm not so interested in history, more smithing tips, tricks, parts recommendations, tools, etc.
Old December 11, 2009, 11:29 PM   #2
drail

Just about everything you will ever need is covered in the Kuhnhausen manuals. Everything else is just practical experience. You will screw things up but the Kuhnhausen manuals should enable you to understand what the problem is and how to fix it. Understanding how changing one thing will affect several other things is the key. Equal and opposing forces in balance. It ain't rocket science, it's Zen.
Old December 12, 2009, 05:37 PM   #3
HiBC

I just decided to try to learn something about how much I don't know about 1911s.

I bought Kunhausen vol 2.

Great reference.I have to focus and study to read it,but real understanding of what is right can be found.There are also a lot of very useful dimensions and measurements and tolerance stack ups provided.

I also bought Wilson Combats 4 DVD 1911 course.

They show a very practical series of lessons from taping a slide before you work on it,to how even their own Wilson parts require handwork when taken out of the bag.

Most of the work is done with basic hand tools.

I found this series quite useful,and recomend having the Kunhausen and this series.
Old December 12, 2009, 06:02 PM   #4
drail

If you're thinking of buying the Kuhnhausen manual, Vol 1 is the one with the most how to knowledge. Vol 2 is considerably more technical with blueprints. I have the original Wilson book and while it is full of good information the photos are so underexposed it's very hard to tell what you're looking at in most of them. In Wilson's defense I would say that this was probably the fault of the book's printer.
Old December 14, 2009, 01:16 PM   #5
Ivan

Look for books by Patrick Sweeney. His books are a lot lighter than the Kuhnhausen books, but much easier reading and are useful even if you already know what you are doing.

- Ivan.
Old December 14, 2009, 02:33 PM   #6
RickB

I also like Hallock's .45 Auto Handbook. A very practical and inexpensive guide.
Old December 18, 2009, 11:08 AM   #7
mtnsmith

Kuenhausens first volume?

Does any one know where I can get a copy of Kuenhausens first volume on 1911s? I've checked amazon with no luck..

mtnsmith....................
Old December 18, 2009, 03:41 PM   #8
brickeyee

Quote:
Does any one know where I can get a copy of Kuenhausens first volume on 1911s? I've checked amazon with no luck..
Brownells
Old December 18, 2009, 04:40 PM   #9
yggorf

Or http://www.gunshowbooks.com/.