The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 13, 2009, 04:43 PM   #1
Tcon

Is this a safe load for Springfield XD 9 Tactical?

Good Day Everybody,

I have been reloading rifle for quite some time but just started reloading for pistols. Specifically my Springfield XD 9 Tactical

I did an initial hand load of:
115gr RN FMJ's
4.1gr Titegroup
CCI 500 Small Pistol Primer
Random Brass (Win, Rem, Speer)
OAL: 1.100" (According to the Sierra Manual)

The load was mediocre with a few FTEs

Pistol loading by hand took me forever, so I switched to a progressive press and the load was the same except it averaged 3.9-4.0gr of titegroup. The load was horrible with the gun not being able to eject any rounds. Sounds backwards but I loaded them by hand then used the progressive the same day before I hit the range.

Since then I have upped the powder to about 4.4gr of titegroup with the same OAL of 1.100". I haven't had a chance to get to the range to test the load but before I go, do you guys think that 4.4gr of powder @ 1.100" will be safe to shoot?

Thanks,
Rene
Old November 13, 2009, 07:38 PM   #2
scouty

9mm load

Tcon.... I've been loading 115g RN, Remington case, 4.5gn Titegroup, fiocchi primer. Got the 4.5 gn titegroup from my Lee manual. oal 1.165. Been shooting them out of a XD9 4". Everyone has chambered and fired with no problems. Less recoil and better accuracy than the 115g factory ammo I was shooting. Stay Safe
Old November 13, 2009, 08:17 PM   #3
Shoney

Your initial charge is well below max listed load, but your OAL of 1.100 is way short of the 1.169 I see listed. The shorter OAL will increase pressure, just how much?????? is a crap shoot.

If I were loading, and the length could be increased to fit and funtion without problems from my magazine, I would do that.
Old November 13, 2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Hydraulicman

I load my 9mm ammo to 1.135 It works well in my glocks. if you stay within the published load and work up you should be good to go.
Old November 14, 2009, 01:35 AM   #5
Tcon

My load was out of the latest Sierra Manual for the 115 FMJ.
They said OAL of 1.100 and max was 4.5gr.

Thanks for all the input, i'll pull the trigger with my eyes open now haha!
Old November 15, 2009, 04:08 PM   #6
jepp2

It is always a good idea to check your loads for setback. If the action of chambering the round, causes the bullet to move back into the case, the pressure can significantly increase.

Methods to check will vary. I measure the length of the first round I load in the magazine, then only load one more round. I fire the first round (second one in the magazine), then eject the round currently chambered and measure. The actual firing action of the pistol can result in bullet movement that hand cycling will not. MAKE SURE you use safe gun handling if you use this method.