The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2009, 07:25 PM   #1
Darksith

Hornady GMX Bullets

I am reloading hornady GMX bullets, and they claim to break up less, but is this a good thing? You would think that a bullet breaking up will impact more organs on its way into the animal, but they claim the bullet is better. Anyone know anything about this?
Old November 2, 2009, 08:30 PM   #2
res45

Bullet fragmentation has it place,such as varmint bullets where you want to have an explosive affect and expand quickly on thin skinned animals and bullet weight retention is not all that important.

On bullets used for big or dangerous game,you want the bullet to expand but retain as much of it weight as possible to penetrate deep into the vitals and impart shock,the important thing is to choose the correct bullet for your intended target.

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=785
Old November 2, 2009, 08:35 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Fragments would be desirable if they had the terminal ballistic performance of the original bullet, but, like shotgun pellets, they have little individual mass and come to an abrupt halt after separating from the bullet. In that situation they don't contribute the damage they could do as part of the intact projectile. Moreover, they are robbing the original bullet of penetration, since they hop off and cease to contribute their mass to the inertia it had. So their separation robs the original projectile of penetration. Also, unless you enjoy bloodshot meat or look forward to picking metal fragments out of your teeth, the meat the fragments wind up in becomes waste.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 3, 2009, 02:38 AM   #4
snuffy

Quote:
I am reloading hornady GMX bullets, and they claim to break up less, but is this a good thing?
Actually they don't break up AT ALL! Here's what the 165 GMX looks like after hitting 3 water filled milk jugs lined up end to end, at 3150 fps;

Retained weight was almost 100%, the only weight lost was the plastic tip! Expansion was .638 and .614!

In this bullet you get rapid initial expansion for the shock needed to bring about a rapid kill, with great frontal area for a large wound channel. Then the weight retention carries the velocity for deep penetration.
Old November 4, 2009, 04:02 PM   #5
jsr76

How many tests have you done? If they act that way on the average, I'm on board. I love 25's well above 3000 fps, and that looks ideal. Repeatable!
Old November 4, 2009, 04:29 PM   #6
GeauxTide

I confess

With animals below 500#, I've never seen a difference in standard and premium bullets. I own a box of Partitions and Grand Slams, but haven't even opened them.
Old November 4, 2009, 05:23 PM   #7
Darksith

I haven't had the time to develop this load properly I guess. I stopped working it up after I found a stable velocity due to time restraints, but I think in the future I will work it up to its max load for my gun while still keeping stable groups. I am currently shooting at 52 grains, its max is 58, but hornady tecks think the max will be around 56. These bullets work best with magnum guns which my 06 is not, so I don't think I can get the max velocity that this bullet needs, but I will let you guys know how it goes. I shot and lost a moose this year shooting this bullet, which is very hard on my conscience, but it was a far shot so I don't know exactly where I hit the animal, and I couldn't continue to look for it the next day as a grizzly track appeared on the blood trail and I was too far from civilization in too thick of bush to continue the tracking safely.
Old November 14, 2009, 05:41 PM   #8
Darksith

I take it all back. I will continue to work this bullet in my loads. It has amazing hitting power and even went through a tree branch today and still dropped the deer in its tracks. The bullet changed course and didn't hit in the ideal spot, but the damage was so imense it died on the spot. My other bullets that Ive been shooting wouldn't of dropped that deer after hitting that branch. I'd be chasing a wounded animal all day.
Old November 14, 2009, 09:55 PM   #9
Christchild

+1 For Premiums!!!

Congratulations on the Brush Bulldozer Premium Bullet One Shot Quick Kill!!!
Old November 16, 2009, 03:47 PM   #10
jsr76

I like the idea but I have shot end to end on whitetails with my .257 WBY. and 100 TSX. Killed them after a 100 yard walk, but lead and jacket are instant on smaller to medium game. Bigger game as well usually. My opinion is that if you want to use these super stout premiums you have to push them very hard and they work best in situations where you will shoot at whatever you can see. In the brush at big stuff for example. Just my opinion.