The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 3, 2009, 08:19 PM   #1
3ddiver

Colored brass?

I guess I have a different question for you guys. Where we shoot uspsa matches and practice there is grass and gravel/leaves. It is sometimes hard to find our brass back so I painted the head of the brass hot pink. It sure made them easier to see but left paint inside the gun(which I know will clean off) and the magazines. Is there a good way to make your brass more visable? I am not talking about identifying it from others, I am talking about finding it back again.
Old September 3, 2009, 08:54 PM   #2
dardascastbullets

I believe there was an article printed in the American Rifleman many moons ago about how to color brass cases. I remember there were several chemicals involved which imparted a select color of your choosing to the brass cases. Maybe a search on the NRA's website may produce results. Or a search on Google may produce some good results also.

Good luck!
Old September 4, 2009, 05:35 PM   #3
3ddiver

All of my google searches just talk about dulling it down or tarnishing it and I didnt turn up anything on the NRA site. If anyone has any other ideas I would appreaciate it.
Old September 4, 2009, 07:09 PM   #4
dahermit

I used bright red layout die (used by machinists). It does not come off like paint does, but my walnut tumbling media takes it off, or can be taken off easily by alcohol and a rag.
Old September 6, 2009, 01:41 AM   #5
digisol

First time I found this sort of problem was when using both 9mm and .40 guns at the same day, simplest was to use nickel plated 40 s&w brass, at least it stopped other guys from taking them home as mistaken 9mm brass.
Old September 6, 2009, 11:22 AM   #6
Don H

http://www.sciencecompany.com/patina...naformulas.htm
Old September 12, 2009, 07:23 PM   #7
ClarkEMyers

Handloader magazine has covered the issue from time to time.

Handloader magazine has covered the issue from time to time.

Keep googling and searching on this and related boards (Olg Volks's) and you'll find the right answers if also some wrong ones. Model railroad buffs have lots of information on coloring brass as well. A fairly bright red is easy Brass black is common but I don't know how durable.