The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 13, 2009, 08:04 AM   #1
Master Blaster

380 Ruger LCP preferred load??

380 Ruger LCP preferred load??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been fortunate enough to locate an in stock LCP .380 and have taken it out to the range and fired it with some old remington FMJ high velocity left over from 12 years ago when I sold my sig p230.

I recieved some bullets from Grafs friday, 90 grain Hornady XTP, and dies are coming monday. I have win sp primers, and a number of faster pistol powders, anyone have a favorite load for their LCP?

My Hornady manual says I can get 1150 fps with titegroup (test gun 3.5" walther)

If you have a favorite defense load Please share it.

Thanks
Old July 13, 2009, 09:06 AM   #2
RidgwayCO

My Beretta 84 and Bersa 95 are blowbacks, so my loads are not typically of the "fire-breathing" variety. Your LCP (and the almost identical Kel-Tec P3AT) is a locked-breech design, and may be able to stand more horsepower.

The standard factory .380 Auto load is a 95gr jacketed round nose bullet at 950 fps, giving about 190 ft-lbs of energy. For my practice rounds, I load a heavier bullet (Hornady 100gr FMJ-RN Encapsulated) to 925 fps to duplicate the factory fodder.

For my SD practice rounds (using the Hornady 90gr HP/XTP or the Speer 90gr GDHP), duplicating factory loads requires about 1000 fps (200 ft-lbs), which I can attain easily with AA's #2 and VV's N320, N330, and N340. I expect Bullseye, Titegroup, 231/HP38, Unique, Zip, and a host of other powders could also accomplish this goal. But I use AA #2 and the Viht's because of their clean burning performance, and their outstanding metering in my Lee Pro Auto-Disk measure.

You might also consider adding a Crimson Trace laser to it. It sure will help keep you on target, and adds almost no weight.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your new LCP!