The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 12, 2009, 03:17 PM   #1
Lavid2002

Had 2 rounds go off with one pull of the trigger

remember to seat those primers flush. I learned the hard way...Im lucky the gun went into battery before discharging a second time or I might have had a huge problem.
Old July 12, 2009, 05:50 PM   #2
kyhareraiser

sounds like maybe a slam fire. crimp those bullets and make sure the primers are in far enough to where the casings will set flush on a level surface
Old July 12, 2009, 11:13 PM   #3
patriotthad

If you have a light trigger and are holding a loose grip such as prone etc. the gun may recoil back then forward causing your finger to press the trigger again.
Old July 12, 2009, 11:19 PM   #4
tmd11111

What kind of gun did this happen with if you don't mind us asking?
Old July 12, 2009, 11:23 PM   #5
Gbro

Be careful what you say and where you say it.
From what you just described, you may have an automatic weapon by definition of the BATF&Z
Old July 12, 2009, 11:53 PM   #6
bobotech

No, it might have just been an inadvertent bump fire. Bump firing isn't illegal.
Old July 13, 2009, 04:01 AM   #7
Lavid2002

I'm sure it wasnt the gun it was me and my reloads and or a slight bump fire. I have bumped the gun before ( only once guys )

It was an ar15 rock river arms ar15 mid length a4 chambered in 5.56x45
Old July 13, 2009, 03:54 PM   #8
Dan The Sig Man

Reloading takes me a little longer than most people I am sure. I have a Turrent from Lee and I do 1 round at a time and EVERY round I take out and feel the Primer, and than place it on the Flat Table to make sure the Primer is seated. I have had a couple that were not and I put it back in and seat is little deeper. Oh I forgot to say that I CHECK the Primers prior to the Powder and Bullet are inserted. That is why it takes a little longer, but after shooting about 500+ rounds, I have not had to worry about slam fire... This is just a suggestion, and it works for me and gives me very nice Piece O Mind.
Old July 13, 2009, 04:15 PM   #9
Slamfire

I have never seen a true firing pin initiated slamfire in a AR when feeding from the magazine. I have had one, and seen one, and heard reports of others from folks who single fed rounds and had a slamfire.

And it makes a believer out of you, regardless of what is said by those who say it can’t happen.

That does not mean that you did not have an overly sensitive primer. One that ignited when the free floating firing pin hit it.

Still for gas guns, I highly recommend sizing the cases with a small base die (so there is no resistance to bolt closure), seating all primers by hand, and using the least sensitive primers you can find.

And there is one other thing, don’t load these rifles pointing at something you don’t want dead. If you have a slamfire, you just killed what was downrange.
Old July 13, 2009, 04:55 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

Agree about it making a believer. It's funny how many posters you run into who say they've never heard or seen one and think it's something entirely made up to cover up the embarrassment of bad gun handling. I've never had one (knock on particle board), but I've been on the line at Camp Perry more than once when one let go.

On another board we have a former Aberdeen Proving Grounds gun tester and failure investigator who says he drew a case in which a death was caused by an out-of-battery slamfire in a machine gun once. He is also a competitive shooters and was near a guy who had a slam fire at a rifle match. He said he looked the guy's hand loads and found a number of high primers.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 13, 2009, 05:26 PM   #11
Tomas

I had one with my AP4 in .308. That's a pretty light rifle to have go full auto, 3 rounds - OMG. Kinda made me miss the Marines...just 'kinda'...

Loading military brass for a semi is a different animal, and I'm lucky, and still feel pretty stupid about it. Seating those primers deep is a must for these buggers.

Tom