The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 11, 2009, 06:40 PM   #1
w686mt

What Caused This

Picked up some 308 range brass today. No one else shooting 308 so I picked them up. LC head stamped. Got them home and found a dent in each one. I wonder if they are still reloadable? Anyone know what might have caused this. No idea what they came out of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0711091223a.jpg (68.8 KB, 254 views)
Old July 11, 2009, 06:44 PM   #2
cornbush

Looks like they bounced off the gun after ejecting, your just fine to reload them. My uncles FN FAL does the same thing from time to time.
Old July 11, 2009, 06:59 PM   #3
dlb435

Typical from rounds fead through an FN-FAL. I reloaded them with no problems.
Old July 11, 2009, 07:18 PM   #4
VaFisher

Quote:
Typical from rounds fead through an FN-FAL. I reloaded them with no problems.
Dido, I have seen this many times using the FN-FAL. Will not hurt anything and will fire form back out when fired.
Old July 11, 2009, 09:52 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

A lot of semi-autos will do that. The brass is hitting the rifle on the way out. Not a big deal.
Old July 11, 2009, 11:48 PM   #6
elkman06

My Saiga dents the brass in the same way by bouncing it off of the dust cover.
elkman06
Old July 12, 2009, 01:45 AM   #7
bobotech

I would load it too with no problem.

Oddly enough, my Saiga 308 ejects brass extremely cleanly. Hardly ever have any dents in them at all. Never saw a semi that ejects brass so nicely.
Old July 12, 2009, 02:34 AM   #8
NWPilgrim

If you live in Oregon you should leave those lying on the ground ...

... for me!

What typically happens to cause that is as the bolt/extractor pulls the cartridge back on the right side of the case rim quickly from the chamber, the ejector hits the rim on the opposite to send it flying out the ejection port. Since it was held and hit on the rim it is given a tumbling motion with the case neck coming back towards the rear. Just as it is coming out of the ejection port case neck first it can slam into the rear of the port and get creased.

For some guns, the FAL apparently, this is normal. For others it may mean the ejector is a tad short or not hitting early enough, or the ejection port is not quite long enough for the case to clear completely, or perhaps the recoil spring is weak and cases are being ejected more violently than designed.

Since it isn't your gun it doesn't matter why. In any event, the cases are good to go and will be blown out to normal smooth sides in the next firing.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old July 12, 2009, 06:34 PM   #9
Randy 1911

The LC headstaqmp is Lake City. There should be a number also to indicate the year made. The primers may be crimped in. They are military brass. You will have to remove the primer crimp before you can reload them. They are great brass.
Old July 13, 2009, 06:59 PM   #10
HDDeluxe

I see that from time to time on the range brass I pick up. It doesn't affect the reloading process. Go ahead and reload them, or if you feel uncomfortable doing that I would be willing to trade you some other brass for your .308.