The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2009, 06:29 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

AA #9... users & uses ???

I have a couple pounds, that I mostly got because it was one of the only powders listed fo the 10 mm Magnum that I load for...

I'm getting ready to do some expiriementing with the 22 Hornet for a custom 6" revolver & looking over my data, AA #9 seems like it might suite my cartridge / gun combo well... of course I can't find any load data since almost every powder is a slower burning powder for rifle or longer barreled Contender use... with the Hornets lighter bullets, & small case capacity ( slightly compounded by the limited cylinder length, keeping my OAL length to SAMMI specs & forcing more bullet base in the case than I like to load in my Contender )

anyone else out there load with #9 ??? if so, what cartridges, & how have your results been ???

suggestions for the Hornet ???
Old June 2, 2009, 07:19 AM   #2
FlyFish

It's my standard powder for .357 SIG.
Old June 2, 2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Sam06

I have used it in 44 Magnum and 41 magnum loads with good results. I used it in a 22 hornet load:

40gr Horn HP
10gr AA#9
Rem 6 1/2 primer

It was a OK load but it did not do better than Lil Gun which is my go to powder for the hornet. 2400 and H110 are good also in the hornet.

I have been wanting to try some Enforcer but I have not seen any where I live. There is plenty of powder here, IMR, Hogden, AA, Winchester but none of the Ramshot powders. I can even get VVN powders.

I think AA#7 might be good in the hornet. That might work better in a 6" revolver as it is a little faster. From that barrel length I would think this is where you would want to be in the burn rate chart with the Bold one the optimum. I may be off as I don't have the Load from a disc but there are guys her who have it and should be able to figure a good load for you:
Quote:
49. Accurate No. 7
50. Hodgdon Longshot
51. Scot Solo 1500
52. Ramshot True Blue
53. Vihta Vuori N350
54. Vihta Vuori 3N38
55. Hodgdon HS-7
56. Alliant Blue Dot
57. Winchester 571
58. Vihta Vuori N105
59. Accurate No. 9
60. Ramshot Enforcer
61. Scot 4100
62. Alliant Steel
63. Alliant 2400

64. Vihta Vuori N110
65. Hodgdon Lil Gun
66. Norma R123
67. Hodgdon H110
68. Winchester 296
Old June 2, 2009, 08:31 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

How you doing SAM ???

I'm already reloading for my 10" Contender with both H-110 & Lil Gun ( also 4227... but don't like how that meters for the small case )

thanks for posting about the AA #9... I was thinking it should be good in a shorter than 10" barrel, but hadn't found any load data or anyone that had tried it...

your burn rate portion of the powders agrees with my best guess... I have several powders in that range & thought about trying a few, after the gun is done... the Blue Dot always makes me a bit nervous especially with lighter starting loads being double based & my concern with detonation, but there won't be much case left on the Hornet, so lower charge loads should b OK, but that powder could end up as a compressed load really easy with the longer 45 grain bullets seated to fit my cylinder I have 2400, AA #9 & Lil Gun which seems like a better fit for the cartridge stuffed into a cylinder, & shot out of a shorter barrel ???
Old June 2, 2009, 10:36 AM   #5
freakshow10mm

I use it in 357 Mag and 10mm. 10mm mostly. Meters like water, good burn rate (#2400/Blue Dot-ish). Not the most economical regarding charge weights (17.5gr with a 10mm 135gr Nosler) but I like it's metering and performance. If you chrono map for your gun, it's a great powder to play with over max. I'm going way over max for that load and no pressure sign in my gun. 1700fps with a 135gr Nosler in my Commander 1911 is pretty cool.

Longshot (reformulated HS7) is a good powder too but it's best for medium heavy loads in the 180gr at about 1250-1275fps. Not as smooth when pushed hard like #9.
Old June 2, 2009, 10:59 AM   #6
Alleykat

I've used it for .44 Mag; found AA#7 to be just about ideal for 10mm.
Old June 2, 2009, 12:21 PM   #7
Pathfinder45

AA-9 IN .45 Colt.....Longshot/ reformulated HS-7?

AA-9 is one of the best powders for +P loads in .45 Colt. I like it better than H-110 or W-296 because it performs more consistently over a wider range of charge weights so you don't have to run it right near maximum. Now tell me, Freakshow, what's this stuff about Longshot being reformulated HS-7? If it is, that could be good news for me since HS-7 is perhaps my favorite powder for .45 Colt and has been discontinued, I hear. I aquired some W-571 at the gun show in Portland a while back as it's reputed to be the exact same powder as HS-7 and my latest tests can only confirm this. But I have less than 2lbs of both combined. So, what to do, what to do........?
Old June 2, 2009, 03:26 PM   #8
Sam06

MWM, I am doing fine. Getting ready for another trip and will be gone for a few but Ive been doing a lot of shooting and reloading this winter and Spring. I really like the AA powders. I have used AA#2,5,7,9 and all have worked well in the cartridges used. Like other say they may not be the most economical but they do meter very well in my Dillon 550B.

I am with you on Blue Dot I stay away from it if I can. I am sure there are those that like it but I am not one of them either(Now I will get flamed for knocking BlueDeath oh well).

Of the 3 powders you have; AA#9, 2400 and Lil Gun in the short barreled 22 Hornet I think i would start out with #9 because it is the fastest of the 3. My second choice would be 2400 because I use it so much I have faith in it. One powder we have not looked at is Unique. That might be the kicker in the 6" barreled Hornet. I have never used it but I believe you could. Steves pages say 5.7-7.0 Grains under a 40 grain bullet and 4.5-6.5 under a 45 grainer. I am sure you have some unique, every reloader has at least 1/8# hidden somewhere.... You might want to see whats what in your T/C with the 10" barrel. I would think you could subtract about 200FPS for the 10" data and be close to what the 6" revolver will deliver. That would also allow you to see what powder gives you best consistency and how that fast powder effects the brass.

That should be a cool revolver when you are done with it. I think that gun in 270ren would be very cool. Like a Rook revolver. I am all hung up on the 30-30 now and I just got a Savage 219. I have been messing with it and its a blast. Trail Boss Powder is the bomb in the 30-30.

Good Luck Wheel Man.........Post some pics of the gun with groups/ in them and loads used.

PS How did the T/C with the Williams fire site turn out??
Old June 2, 2009, 03:41 PM   #9
Magnum Wheel Man

that boomer makes my knuckles bleed... I'm still finalizing a load but it's looking like lots of Lil Gun...

I have not finished the metal yet, but I like the sight enough, I'm thinking about having my machinist make me a universal "pre-base" that will go into the rear sight area of the S&W's, & Dan Wessons ( & this "Raging" ) so that I can use the same rear ghost ring Fire Sight... ( not this exact same sight, but this "style" )

the gun as it sits now...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; June 3, 2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old June 2, 2009, 03:47 PM   #10
Sam06

I'll Bet it makes your knuckles bleed with that short tube. I thought it was a 14" barrel. That looks like a 10". The sights look good from what I can see in the photo. That should work good for close range shooting.

Maybe hollow out the for end and put some lead in to tame it some.
Old June 2, 2009, 03:54 PM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

yep... 10"... with +P 45 Colt... it's handfull

I was initially also trying AA #9 in that cartridge, but the case was only 1/2 full, so the H-110 & Lil Gun were better suited for that cartridge...

with the smaller case of the Hornet I expect it'll work better... provided the accuracy is there
Old June 2, 2009, 06:12 PM   #12
Magnum Wheel Man

a pic of the Hornet during fitting of the barrel shroud...

Old June 3, 2009, 07:03 AM   #13
Magnum Wheel Man

BTW... I'm also expiriementing with AA #9 in my 5.7 X 28 Contender barrel as well... initial results were promising, so I've got ( in groups of 10 for chrony & group size testing ) 2 different powder charges & a couple of primer variations & different bullets loaded up for testing later this summer... I loaded up 5 more variations, wih a couple different powders last night ( I'm trying to get the 5.7 finished up so I can get back on the 32 H&R Mag, & 45 Colt loads... so I can get on the 22 Hornet loads fo the revolver...

... so much loading to do... so little time to do it
Old June 3, 2009, 08:19 AM   #14
closetgunnut

I've been using #9 to load 30 Carbine for a couple CMP Inlands and have had great results so far.

I've been using it under 110gr FMJ's and 110gr TMJ's (from 3Lee's). It meters through the Lee Auto-Disc like water and burns a lot cleaner than IMR4227, YMMV.

Also, the 8lb keg above my bench will load well over 4000+ rounds at about .02 per!

Closet
Old June 3, 2009, 01:11 PM   #15
Sam06

MWM, That super mag shroud looks like it was made for that Taurus. That looks very nice, good job!

As most of the guys have said, I too am a fan of AA powders. I think #9 will do the trick for you in that "Dan-Tauru-net" revolver. Maybe AA#7 and Unique will work also. I don't think you are going to get a lot of velocity out of it but it should be fun. I would opt for the faster twist barrel(1-10) over the 1-14 due to velocity. Rule of thumb is to err on the too fast side of twist rates, at least that has been my experience. I made a major/expensive blunder when picking a barrel for 6mmBR I used to have. Lesson learned! It should be a very fun and quite pistol.

The data I have seen for the 5.7 has all said Ramshot tru-blu is the stuff for it. I cannot get Ramshot powder here where i live but I would like to try some. I am going overseas for a few months but when I get back I am going to search for some ramshot, Enforcer and maybe trueBlue. They look like good powders and I may have to start a thread about them when I get a chance.

Good luck with all your projects going on right now. I hope you get out to use some of them this season. It looks like i will miss most of hunting season but I think I will be able to get some duck hunting in. Take care..............Sam
Old June 3, 2009, 01:21 PM   #16
Magnum Wheel Man

yep... True Blue was my 1st choice for the 5.7, but I've been looking locally ( in about 100 mile radius ) for over 6 months, with no luck so far... if I got the chance to see if it was really more than a one cartridge ( for me powder ) I'd just order a bigger jug on line... but the hazard fees has had me shopping locally so far...