The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 19, 2009, 10:21 AM   #1
ramp_tech

Ruger SR9 vs Springfield XD9

I asked to see a SR9 in my local shop last week and I think I am in "love".
I like the ergonomic design and the length of the pistol grip was a perfect fit for my hands. It is also very slim, I would have to say it has the same width of my S&W 1911 and it can be conceal fairly easy. The weight is well distributed unlike my old P95, which was a great pistol but horribly top heavy.

With the permission from the store owner, I dry fired the SR9. To my surprise, it had a lighter trigger-pull than my Glock 17/19 and the distance travel was a lot shorter than my Glocks. The SR9 does come with a manual thumb safety and a striker blocking safety (according to the guy).
It has a 17+1 capacity, the same with my Glock 17. The slide was easy to rack and the owner performed a field strip in front of me, like all my Ruger center fire pistols, it was very simple & easy!

I really really like the SR9 and I am planning to pick it up next week if my wife's okay with it. I understood that there was a recall for the model last year but I am not at all concern with it. Ruger is one of my favor manufacturer, and the fact that they openly admitted their mistake was a plus for their brand to me.

Now, I am in a diellema. I have not held a XD9 service but I am also interested in them. Unforunately; with the limited budget; I can only afford to purchase one of them for now. For you all out there, share your ownership experience over them please, and help me make a decisioN!
Old April 19, 2009, 10:35 AM   #2
ramp_tech

Stock Pictures

Old April 19, 2009, 10:38 AM   #3
wildbill846

I purchased a SR9 last year when they first came out. My initial reacton was like yours....the perfect pistol for me. In the next couple months after that, I started to wonder about my purchase. The gun had several stovepipes on the initial trip to the range. At first I thought it may be limp wristing by an inexperienced shooter I had trying it out. Then it happened once to me. Well, it seems the gun just needed some breaking in. After 200-300 rounds through it all problems disappeared and with several thousand rounds through it now I haven't had a problem. Then came the recall. It was hard to part with my newly acquired gun and it was a pain in the butt to arrange the shipping. I got it back about 10 days later with the new "glock" trigger, but now the trigger pull seemed heavier. Once again it seemed to need some breaking in, because it has lightened up some....and that recall trigger feels so much better than the original. So, now I'm back to loving the SR9. I can't compare to the XD as I haven't shot any of those.

PS...that pic of the SR9 has the pre-recall trigger.
Old April 19, 2009, 10:41 AM   #4
Kurt+P+

Buy a Glock 17. You'll be glad you did.
Old April 19, 2009, 10:44 AM   #5
wildbill846

He'd be glad to have 2 Glock 17s?
Old April 19, 2009, 10:49 AM   #6
Kurt+P+

Sure, two glocks are better than one glock and one SR9. Okay, maybe I should read the entire post next time. Sorry.
Old April 19, 2009, 11:15 AM   #7
mellow_c

I would not buy an SR9. I shot one once. the slide would often not hold back after the last shot.
I have an XD that I feel like I could take anywhere and do anything with, and not have to worry about it.
If you like the style of the SR9, but you want to be sure of reliability. You could get a Beretta 92. Or a CZ 75B
I would prefer either of those pistols over a Rugger SR9 anyday. I might even like them better than my XD, who knows.
Check into them if you dont know anything about them. I understand wanting to get something that you can hold before you buy. But I think ordering a Beretta or CZ, would be a better decision in the long run than buying an SR9 off the shelf...

Even if you do get the SR9, I wish you good luck, and hope you enjoy it.
Old April 19, 2009, 12:13 PM   #8
ramp_tech

The SR9 with the new trigger!
The picture shows basically the one I saw, but the slide is the Black Stainless.

Anyone else has a SR9?
Old April 19, 2009, 01:30 PM   #9
rugerfreak

I bought one last week--but haven't shot it yet.

I dumped the mag safety and cleaned it right away---I've been dry firing it a lot and working the slide--and then cleaned it again---any rough spots are gone and its very smooth now.

It has a 12/08 born date--so pretty sure Ruger has all the bugs worked out now.

The slim feel and features are what sold me------I may even give up my Glocks if everything goes right with a few hundred though it.
Old April 19, 2009, 01:37 PM   #10
brucea4

S.A. XDm 9mm..........might want to take a look at that one too!
Old April 19, 2009, 02:20 PM   #11
ramp_tech

Quote:
S.A. XDm 9mm..........might want to take a look at that one too!
I don't like the "M" version of the XD9. Plus I don't have another $150 laying around. Thanks tho
Old April 19, 2009, 10:27 PM   #12
Beentown71

I love my XD9. Never had an issue at all. Very accurate and comfortable for me. I have six 9mm pistols and it is my favorite...closely followed by my Beretta 92FS and CZ 75B.

Happy shooting and choosing,

Beentown
Old April 19, 2009, 11:40 PM   #13
alienbogey

Very happy with my SR9. Like you, I thought it was very ergonomic, slim, and well balanced when I picked it up in the gun store.

17+1, manual safety, magazine disconnect easily removable, adjustable back strap, sights adjustable for windage and elevation, visual and tactical loaded chamber indicator, same trigger pull every shot, American made, reasonably priced.

Great package.
Old April 19, 2009, 11:52 PM   #14
Rich Miranda

Quote:
...I am planning to pick it up next week if my wife's okay with it.
It's official! Go ahead and get the gun already!

Old April 20, 2009, 12:04 AM   #15
Rich Miranda

I'll be honest and upfront and say that I haven't shot either gun yet. However, I am a Ruger fan and I like the looks, feel, and ergonomics of the SR9 over the XD.

The Ruger is more naturally-shaped, whereas the XD is blocky like a Glock (which is why I dumped my G30). The Ruger's controls also seem more intuitive to me. Finally, and I know this is not a top priority, but IMO the Ruger is just nicer-looking than the XD.

I'm quite sure the XD is a top of the line gun and very reliable. My preference for the Ruger does not mean that I don't care for the XD. But, if I have to choose, the Ruger gets the nod.

Even the best guns don't fit everyone, so choose the one that's right for you.
Old April 20, 2009, 12:44 AM   #16
_W_

My vote goes to the XD-9. It already has a positive and proven track record. If you absolutely need to buy something right at the moment, I'd go with the XD. The SR-9 is the new kid on the block and obviously needs to work out a few kinks.

But other than personal preference, I don't see the SR-9 bringing anything new to the table.
Old April 20, 2009, 05:24 AM   #17
dadams868

I will say.... I think the SR9 is easily the most obnoxious gun to break down ever. You have to jam your finger into the mag chamber and press that magic lever and whatnot... god I hate it. My bud bought one today and I cleaned it for him before we went out to try it out and that was basically the first thing I noticed. That stupid stupid breakdown leaver inside the action.... oh well. If it had tritium I wouldve been a fan.
Old April 20, 2009, 05:55 AM   #18
Hellbilly5000

Dadams its better then the people that designed alot of other guns where you have to pull the trigger to remove the slide. I havre 2 Rugers 1 is a p85 and the other is a p95 and i love the fact that a person has to make sure they drop the magazine and lock back the slide before you can field strip the gun
Old April 20, 2009, 09:06 AM   #19
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Taking it apart is simple as can be----guess I'm used to taking 1911's down.
-------Metallica
Old April 20, 2009, 10:58 AM   #20
Slasher42

My father has an SR9 and I have an XD9 ... Both are great guns IMO. For me the SR9 was a little to slim in the grip and my hands(fairly large) were not really comfortable on it. We put a Hogue slip on grip sleeve with the finger grooves on his SR9 and now its pretty slick. I still prefer my XD but that might just be my bias since its my gun. But either one is great as far as I am concerned.
Old April 20, 2009, 11:22 AM   #21
Beetmagnet

I have the SR9 in black stainless. It fits my hand perfectly and it performs flawlessly. It is a post recall model, so it already had the trigger fixed. The trigger was a little gritty until I put the first 100 rounds through it, now it's fantastic. I'm shocked that it is as cheap as it is.
Old April 20, 2009, 01:25 PM   #22
dairycreek

I have both the XD and a new (post recall) SR9. Both have been very good for me. However, if asked to pick a favorite it would have to be the SR9. The trigger has smoothed out noticeably and turned out to be very smooth. Not a tuned 1911 mind you but doggone for any stiker fired weapon.

I think that the SR9 has superior ergonomics to that of the XD - at least in my hand. My next choice would be that of the Ruger over the XD. FWIW

GOOD SHOOTING