The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 14, 2008, 12:17 AM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: October 13, 2008
Location: Great Falls, MT/ Havre, MT
Posts: 2
some questions

Hello, I'm new here to the forum. My questions are:
1. Does anyone have any experience in getting a suppressor in Great Falls, MT?
2. When I turn 21, I plan on getting a suppressor. I currently reside at a college and live with my mother for the rest of the year. Would i have to keep updating the forms that the ATF have on record each time i move between college and my house?
3. I am applying for a conceal weapons permit pretty soon, I was wondering if I were to carry my weapon concealed, is it still legal to carry the silencer with it, or would I have to leave that off and some were else?
aldronus is offline  
Old October 14, 2008, 01:18 AM   #2
Junior Member
Join Date: October 13, 2008
Location: Great Falls, MT/ Havre, MT
Posts: 2

I know its illegal to carry or possess a firearm on my campus. I go to the shooting range here every couple days, to have fun and practice for hunting season and to just keep my skills sharp. Just curious though about the other questions.
aldronus is offline  
Old October 14, 2008, 06:21 AM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: July 24, 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 1,084
I think trying to keep a silencer on a concealed weapon is going to be an issue. Not sure if it's legal, but why have a huge tube sticking down your leg. Printing could be an issue.:barf:

Second, If I'm ever in a situation where I must use my weapon, the muzzle blast/sound is the least of my worries.
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"-Uncle Ted
Wiskey_33 is offline  
Old October 14, 2008, 10:11 AM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: December 7, 2007
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 156
Aside from the argument over if it's a good idea or not, you need to research your states CCW laws. My state, Louisiana, only allows you to conceal a handgun. Since a silencer is considered a firearm, I can't legally conceal it. Other states make no reference to the type of firearm you can conceal so you could conceal a submachine gun, grenade launcher, or silencer if you wanted to.

You only need to update your address if you are permanently moving the silencer out of state. If you are moving in state or visiting your family out of state you do not need to update the ATF.

If you do need to update your address one day it's a very easy form and only takes about a week round trip to get approved.

It's worth repeating.. a silencer by itself is a firearm. Don't take it onto campus or anywhere where it would be illegal to carry a gun.
aroundlsu is offline  
Old October 14, 2008, 11:00 PM   #5
David Hineline
Senior Member
Join Date: December 23, 1999
Location: South Sioux City, Nebraska
Posts: 704
Correct Advice

The advise about checking your local laws regarding ccw is a good one.

There is no requirement to notify the ATF before or after you move a silencer in state or out of state, as long as it's legal in your final destination.
David Hineline is offline  

ccw , concealed carry , suppressor

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2017 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.09595 seconds with 7 queries