The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 17, 2007, 11:32 AM   #1
megabyte

I have this cannon can anyone tell me about it?

I have this small cannon weighs 9.5lbs its 8-3/4" long with a small fuse hole. I think its a signal cannon but im not sure any thoughts?

Last edited by megabyte; July 17, 2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old July 17, 2007, 01:02 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

You have too many "http"s in your URL, but I did manage to look at the cannon. I think it is safe to say it is not a signal gun (they are usually a lot bigger and have a mount) or anything made for a serious purpose. It is probably a one-off turned out for fun, possibly by a youngster in a trade school machineshop.

Note that there is no way to mount it, or even to attach it to a stock of any kind.

Here is the picture:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b.../cannon002.jpg

Jim
Old July 17, 2007, 02:28 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Agree.
Friend of mine has one similar only better made with flanged muzzle and cascabel knob... but he could not figure out how to make the trunnions.
Old July 17, 2007, 03:04 PM   #4
megabyte

Would it sit in a cradle? or could it be used as a portible weapon? Because like you I have noticed there is no metal holders which is common on cannons to be mounted to wooden holders.
Old July 18, 2007, 10:52 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

In the real world, the trunions (the round crosspieces that support the cannon on the carriage and allow it to be raised and lowered) were cast as part of the barrel. But that would be beyond my hypothetical high school student, so they were left off.

Jim
Old July 19, 2007, 08:35 AM   #6
megabyte

I have seen no trunions before in other cannons. This is why I think its a signal cannon as it doesnt matter about the elevation or aiming it. Could it be mounted into a wall as a shotgun. Someplace where elevation is not important. Like a murder hole in a wall or gate?
Old July 19, 2007, 10:07 AM   #7
Double J

That's an interesting piece. The pits around the touch hole would indicate use. Some of the early canon were lashed to a wooden cradle or stock.
--The scratch toward the breech end, was this dug out of the ground? Pretty neat.
Old July 19, 2007, 11:38 AM   #8
The Tourist

There used to be something called a 'punt gun.'

It sat on a fixture on the prow of a boat and was used to kill ducks by the score to sell to restaurants.

I have never actually seen this gun--only heard about it.

Could this be it?
Old July 19, 2007, 11:45 AM   #9
Scorch

While I have never actually handled a punt gun, I have seen pictures of them. They were typically large bore, 8 bore or possibly larger, with a 5-6' barrel.
Old July 19, 2007, 11:47 AM   #10
The Tourist

Scorch,

I did find this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punt_gun
Old July 19, 2007, 12:34 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

Punt guns? Murder holes? Signal guns? Wow! Maybe used by King Arthur to keep Mordred away from Guinivere?

Anyone ever seen a punt gun? A signal gun? That is neither.

Speculation knows no bounds, and stories can be made up from now until the devil buys ice skates, but I still can't see something like that having any serious purpose or any real value. If I am wrong, and it sells for a million bucks, great, but I wouldn't borrow against that million just yet.

Jim
Old July 19, 2007, 12:38 PM   #12
The Tourist

"Punt guns?...Speculation knows no bounds."

Jim, there's an old expression, "When you hear hoof beats, think horses and not zebras."

That means that the simplest explanation is probably the correct one.

The reason I thought 'punt guns' is that they were probably made by the bushel basket full as a cheap way to hunt waterfowl. Further, a punt gun needed to be mounted, it was not a hand weapon (that I know of.)

Besides, speculation in a forum is fun!
Old July 19, 2007, 01:40 PM   #13
Bill DeShivs

Try www.cannon-mania.com
Old July 22, 2007, 09:46 AM   #14
megabyte

Im not sure its a punt gun. This looks more like a large shotgun. Click on the link and go to the video on youtube. Wow what a great video of the punt gun shooting a whole wall of clay targets with one shot. My "object" is more cannon than rifle. Im not sure you could hunt with it as its very small and compact the aim would be more for repelling close targets with a scatter effect then a precise aimed shot for hunting fowl or other flying objects. I think its for controlling the crew or repelling boarders from enemy ships maybe to cover your enemy while trading or tied along side. What gets me is every type of cannon I have seen uses trunions to secure it to a wooden frame. This one must sit in some kind of cradle. I have never heard of a portible cannon hand held so I think it must sit in a cradle.
Old July 22, 2007, 10:18 AM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

It's not a punt gun. Punt guns were huge affairs that were boat mounted and used by market hunters to harvest geese or ducks. Muzzleloaders, the shortest I've seen had about 6' long barrels and there were larger ones too. To aim it, you rowed the boat and pointed in towards the flock and once close enough, the trigger was pulled.

This one is probably a child's toy. As observed, there's no trunions to mount it on a carriage or to make it into a swivel gun either.
Old July 22, 2007, 03:05 PM   #16
RJay

It's not punt gun, good grief! It's It's not a hand cannon or pole arm, good grief.
It's not a weapon of any type, good grief
: If you note, the center section and bell appear to have been machined, unless El Cid had a machine shop it's modern , in this context modern is the last hundred years. These little cannons were quite popular until the mid 1940's as 4th of July noise makers and yes, it could be used as a signal devise to start a special event such as a foot race or boat race.

Last edited by RJay; July 22, 2007 at 03:41 PM.
Old July 22, 2007, 04:28 PM   #17
megabyte

How does it mount? It looks like its been under water for a couple hundred years to old to be a modern cannon. A childs toy at 10 lbs. Hmmm strong children using cannons to play pirate? Ok any one else want to make some humor. Seriously I have no clue and need help.
Old July 22, 2007, 04:49 PM   #18
RJay

Megabyte, I don't know what to tell you, you have been given help and told what it was. This isn't some mystery one of a kind handgun. It's a 4th of July noisemaker. Good luck, Vaya con Dios.
Old July 22, 2007, 04:50 PM   #19
Bill DeShivs

It probably is a toy cannon. I have a small collection of real, small cannon.
Mini cannon were very common prior to WW2.
Old July 23, 2007, 10:19 PM   #20
Ruger4570

Well, my take on it is that it may have been a toy cannon of some sort. The dimentions are too small to have ever been a serious contender as a punt gun. The few examples of punt guns I have seen are large bores with barrels measuring in feet, noy inches.
A dollar bill is approx 2 1/2" X 6" How long can the barrel on this be, 8 inches give or take. It sure wouldn't be very effective to drive off Pirates. It can be no better than any other smooth bore "pistol" of the past.
Old July 23, 2007, 10:41 PM   #21
James K
Member In Memoriam

I didn't mention it because it isn't really relevant, but I have a small brass cannon around somewhere that a cousin made in high school shop as a copy of a ship's gun. It is only about 4 inches long, but it has a touchhole and he fired it tied to a bench. He never got around to the carriage, but it does have trunions.

Jim
Old July 23, 2007, 11:16 PM   #22
Scorch

Quote:
It looks like its been under water for a couple hundred years to old to be a modern cannon.
Try shooting BP in a rifle and not cleaning it. It will look just like that before not too long.
Old July 24, 2007, 10:46 AM   #23
megabyte

Would a toy cannon have no trunions? Wouldnt it be easier and more recognizable to make it with trunions and mount it in a wooden cradle to give it the classic cannon look? While I agree its very small and wouldnt be used for serious combat ship to ship. But im not convinced it was used for childs play. Kids playing with fire and fuses (the fuse hole) how dangerous would that be. Lets just look down the barrel while firing it. Common that just doesnt make sense. I could see a july 4th fireworks cannon or morter but I have never seen one and Im still puzzled as to what this cannon sat in to make it usable. I have seen many cannons before mostly in Key West off ships that have been underwater for a long time and this cannon looks like its been underwater for a couple of centuries the pitting is way too deep for common corrosion. Even left outside in a yard it wouldnt look this pitted only salt water could do this while I could be wrong im basing it on what I have seen off real ships that have been underwater for a long time.
Old July 24, 2007, 02:06 PM   #24
Bill DeShivs

The world was different back then. We didn't need the government to protect us from ourselves.
Toy cannon were common, M-80s, Silver salutes, firecrackers measured in inches, shooting .22s in the back yard.
We had tools witout safety guards!
Old July 24, 2007, 07:12 PM   #25
megabyte

LOL I still do that today, M-80's or M-120's daisy chained is alot of fun. I still dont think children would play with a cannon. Just too dangerous.