The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 15, 2007, 04:13 PM   #1
lempka

XD. Is it everything it made out to be...?

I considering a new 45 and handled a SS XD service model. Like the look and feel, but is evrything that everyone said it is. Is it reliable? Does it have a lot of muzzle flip with high bore axis? Fairly accuract?
No Glock raiders with "Get a Glock instead."

Input needed please.
Old February 15, 2007, 04:27 PM   #2
azredhawk44

I'm an owner of a Glock G21, a Springfield XD9 and a pair of 1911's.

I feel that the XD is probably the best striker-fired handgun in production. The grip is natural to point for me. Accuracy is very good. The trigger is reasonable, if a bit long on the reset in comparison to more traditional platforms.

I feel that the rails and frame are a bit more rugged on my XD9 than on my G21. I know I enjoy shooting my XD more than my Glock, although my Sig 1911 will soon take top kick in that regard... I just bought it yesterday after test firing the range rental.

If I were interested in a polymer striker-fired pistol again, I would look strongly at the bi-tone stainless XD45 5" tactical model. Not for high-speed low-drag, but for the extra sight radius and extra mass to reduce muzzle flip.

Hope this helps.
Old February 15, 2007, 04:38 PM   #3
hoytinak

i've got the 4" model, granted i've only had it to the range once but i was pretty impressed. recoil is very tame, accuracy is very good for a combat style pistol. i had a XD9 that i put 1000's of rounds through with zero malfunctions before it got stolen so i think the 45 will be just as reliable. if it's fits your hands, go for....i think you'll be very happy with it
Old February 15, 2007, 06:44 PM   #4
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I have the .40 and .45 in service models. I can't say enough good things about them. I've only put about 400 rounds through the .45 so far. But, neither gun has had one hiccup. The bore axis is higher than some guns. I think people really split hairs on that issue. I don't have any problem with it, even on followup shots as some may. The reason? PROPER GRIP. Go to XDTalk.com and you'll get some input there. Take note: The school of thought is, go a dedicated site and you'll get biased opinion. Well, I agree to a point. I had questions about my guns and they still gave solid information. There were a surprisingly high number of people that gave objective viewpoints because many own several kinds of firearms. This site, is in my opinion, the best on solid information. Just thought I'd give you another avenue.
Accuracy? Very accurate for what the pistol is designed for.
Reliable? Very reliable.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 15, 2007, 06:50 PM   #5
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Some may claim the reliablility factor is still in question. I think after billions of rounds fed through millions in service with a high percentage of people satisfied with their XD's pretty much answers the question.

As much as I love XD's, a couple of things to address:
Have you considered other guns such as the M&P, H&K, Berettas, etc? You weren't specific, so I had to ask. I just wanted to advise to shop around and rent if possible. I strongly believe XD's are a great gun, but no gun is the end all be all gun for everybody. And I wanted to make sure you make an informed decision before investing on a firearm.

Old February 15, 2007, 07:14 PM   #6
hdawson228

So far I'm very impressed with my XD9 service model. Love it.
Old February 15, 2007, 07:56 PM   #7
kgpcr

I have XD's but sold some of them to get the new Smith M&P40. I think the smith is far better than an XD or a Glock. Check one out i think you will love it!
Smith M&P 40
Old February 15, 2007, 08:01 PM   #8
madmag

I have an early XD9. I also have & shoot many other brands of pistols. I have over a thousand rounds thru the XD....no exaggerations that I can see. The XD is simply a solid pistol that does what it says it will do. Some of the best magazines I have ever had. My only comment (not real complaint). I think it feels a little top heavy when empty..but minor issue. One of the best polymer pistols out there.

But as said above...rent different pistols and try for your own personal fit. Remember range guns get abused, so any brand may not be as reliable as it should be....just see how it fits and shoots.
Old February 15, 2007, 08:09 PM   #9
HappyGunner

Been great

I have the XD-45 Service and it's been great not a problem in past 400 rds and it's super easy to get apart for cleaning.
Old February 15, 2007, 08:44 PM   #10
hdawson228

Madmag. Then don't leave it empty.
Old February 15, 2007, 09:29 PM   #11
waynedm

They shoot okay and they're somewhat cheap. That's all the nice I can really say about them.
Old February 15, 2007, 09:44 PM   #12
Topthis

I own the XD9 and couldn't wait for the .45 to show up! I was able to fire a few magazines and thought that it was pretty much everything that it was made out to be. The recoil/flip was almost identical to my XD9, in fact I let the owner shoot my XD9 and he thought the same thing. The grip size is almost, if not identical to the 9...which is amazing for 13 (or 14?) rounds of .45. First time through the magazine...I hit everything I aimed at.
Old February 15, 2007, 09:48 PM   #13
roman3

Yes
Old February 15, 2007, 11:01 PM   #14
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Topthis,
The grip size is very similar, but not identical. The frame is the same shape, but upsized marginally. Maybe you meant it felt identical?

Old February 15, 2007, 11:23 PM   #15
madmag

Quote:
Madmag. Then don't leave it empty.

Thanks, I like simple solutions:
Old February 15, 2007, 11:25 PM   #16
KDM

I own a 5" XD40...haven't fired a Glock, so I can make no comparisons there. Accuracy is subjective to a point...what's acceptable to me might not be to you. I can put a mag into 4" at 10 yards offhand, real slow fire. That's accurate enough for my purposes. Reliability has been 100% for all bullet weights/styles I've fired, except for 1 box of range reloads that made it cycle real slow. It's kinda flippy (again, subjective), but easy to pull back down. All in all, I like my XD.

Only things I don't like are the trigger travel and reset. Long trigger pull for my taste, and the equally long reset makes doubletaps shaky. Can barely print the second shot on target when doing a speedy double. Probably just my hand construction, or something.
Old February 16, 2007, 12:26 AM   #17
Topthis

Tuttle..yeah, that is what I meant in my comment...actually thought that I had said "felt"...amazing how close they feel, being that one is 9mm and the other .45!
Old February 16, 2007, 12:30 AM   #18
lempka

Thanks for the input guys. I like to look and feel of the gun. I have shopped around a lot. No ranges here rent. I think I'll wait to some of the new 45 hit the market later this year. M&P, Berretta, FNP, HK. Like the gun just would like some kind of exterier safety or decocker.
Old February 16, 2007, 01:06 AM   #19
Topthis

Curious...what do you own already? Might make a difference.
Old February 16, 2007, 01:42 AM   #20
Sturmgewehre

The short answer, no.

The 9mm variants appear to be good quality pistols. I have had multiple bad experiences with the .40 caliber variants.

Personally, I would go with the 9mm. If you want a .40 or .45, I would go with something else like a USP.
Old February 16, 2007, 12:08 PM   #21
Mike40-11

Nothing is ALL it's made out to be... That being said, I've been quite happy with my 4" XD45 after about 500 rounds. No malfunctions of any sort.

The one thing I would like to be better, as others have said, is the trigger. Little long on the travel. A buddy of mine had his XD9's trigger redone (by Springfield, I believe) and now there is no pre or post travel and it breaks like glass. 'Course, that trigger job cost him about as much as the gun did....
Old February 16, 2007, 12:22 PM   #22
Quickdraw Limpsalot

I got lucky with the trigger on mine. It has a much shorter reset than other XDs I've handled and it's much better IMO than the comparable pistols I've tried as well. Mine's a keeper, best shooting centerfire semiauto I've ever owned or used, both in accuracy and reliability.
Old February 17, 2007, 04:49 PM   #23
therealtwitch

my only complaint is that they relesed the .45acp compact just after I bought my service. but I do love the gun, the has never missed a beat. I just want them to make a .45 acp sub-compact
Old February 18, 2007, 12:36 AM   #24
spoolup

I have shown this link to a few guys at work. One bought the tactical 5" about 4 hours later, the other has started a "gun fund". Enjoy my 4" compact 45. Link to mentioned artical: http://springfield-armory.primediaou...SPstory11.html happy reading.
Old February 18, 2007, 11:14 AM   #25
Striker1

Quote:
Personally, I would go with the 9mm. If you want a .40 or .45, I would go with something else like a USP.
I've had the HK USP prior to the XD45 and in terms of accuracy, reliability, the XD is every bit as good as the inflated HK plastic.

Last edited by Striker1; February 18, 2007 at 05:07 PM.