The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 30, 2006, 09:55 PM   #1
DaleTime

870 Trigger Jobs?

I am a new poster, so be kind.

My 870 Wingmaster has been reworked by Wilson Combat (See http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=61497605) and is a sweet gun, except...

the trigger has a light and crisp letoff, but there is a lot of creep before letoff. Does anyone know how to find instructions on doing trigger jobs on Remington 870s? I have Googled "870 trigger job" and no results. I also have been through the 870 Armorer's course from AGI, and all that covers is assembly/disassembly. Does anyone know how I can get the creep out of the trigger without f***ing the job up?
Old November 30, 2006, 09:59 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sure. Take or send it to a decent smith and let a competent pro do it. Well worth the $50 or so.

Most shooters should not do their triggers the way most drivers should not do their own brakes. The penalty for a botched job is severe.....
Old November 30, 2006, 11:18 PM   #3
BUCKMARK

No flames here...but,

I don't think Wilson Combat even removes the creep on 870's...It's just something most people don't want in a shotgun trigger. Not really needed.

Timney once made target triggers for Remington shotguns, but they quit and the ones you can find cost half of what a new gun costs. The Timney triggers were fully adjustable and were not the same as the factory assy.

Remington makes and sells a comp. trigger spring (yellow)...but it dosent remove the take up creep. It will lighten the pull a few pounds.

I have seen a few "Gunsmith" trigger jobs on a Rem. trigger assy...it consisted of a shim epoxied on the rear trigger assy pin bushing which removed the creep, but put added tension on the trigger spring. Not something I would want on a tactical shotgun. Maybe a Trap gun with the muzzle pointed down range at all times.

If you find someone that does Rem. triggers...let me know...I'm asked all the time.

Thanks, and good luck!

Let's Roll!