The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 27, 2005, 08:26 PM   #1
topspin43

What do I need to get started?

Starting my homework...

Spent the last 6 months target shooting at the range.

Time for me to start looking to compete in either IPSC or IDPA. Besides my Colt (see below), 2 mags, eyes, ears and a holster... What other "stuff" do I need?

Last edited by topspin43; July 27, 2005 at 08:28 PM. Reason: added text
Old July 27, 2005, 08:58 PM   #2
XD Niner

The following is needed in addition to what you already have:

1. Safety focus - no matter which group you elect, this is the primary, overriding consideration.

2. The desire to have a great time - this is fun stuff and very adicting!

3. The willingness to meet some great new people

4. Three more mags - 10 round Chip McCormick Power Mags work great for me.

5. Two cheap Kydex double mag holders - Uncle Mikes of Fobus is great

6. A Kydex holster that will meet the requirements of the shooting organization - My $15 Uncle Mikes works great for me.

7. A little patience - This is like watching Tiger Woods play golf and TV. He makes it look soooo easy yet when you try, it is a lot more difficult than it looks. That said, the progress I've made in 3 months of USPSA (IPSC) competition is amazing.

Man, this stuff is just plain fun!!!!
Old July 27, 2005, 09:28 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Caution, XD is listing USPSA/IPSC gear.

IDPA does not allow 10-round protruding magazines and the Uncle Mike belt holster has a visible gap and is not permissible there either.
Old July 28, 2005, 10:16 PM   #4
XD Niner

Jim is correct. I shoot USPSA, not IDPA. IDPA is not very active in my neck of the woods and seems to be far more restrictive regarding allowable equipment.
Old July 29, 2005, 04:30 AM   #5
joshua

Both action sport has their own merit, but I like the idea of going all out for shooting. That's a whole different tread and maybe opening a can of worms. Limited 10 is still available in USPSA, just switch mags if you are shooting IDPA. I think you can't use tungsten rods, bushing less barrels, and other gargets meant to reduce recoil. It's been a while since I scanned their rules so I may be wrong. I hope an IDPA shooter will chime in to go over all the restrictions. josh
Old July 29, 2005, 09:54 AM   #6
Eghad

for IDPA you need a concealment garment also......

here is the rule book

http://www.idpa.com/rule_info.htm

you can go to Blairs and the have a vest for like 29.99 that would work
for hot weather

http://www.blair.com/webapp/wcs/stor...1041&langId=-1

I bought a 5.11 for 50.00 at Camp Robinson, AR in Khaki looks nice for casual wear. I also bought one here form ESP in Digital Camo from ESP who had a psot in the for sale stuff for listings on Gun Broker, dunno if he has any left, he is going out of biz.

the 5.11 has hidden compartments on the side you can carry a pistol and magazines in. It can also be worn with a belt holster.

I also purchased one of these for my XD for IDPA

http://www.action-direct.com/galcon158b.html
Old July 31, 2005, 10:02 PM   #7
seanc9030

IDPA does allow 10 round protruding mags for your first mag only, because it avoids the charging mag and a potential for a misfire. It is not in the rulebook yet, but talking to my range owner, that is where they are going for competition.
Old August 7, 2005, 01:52 PM   #8
WESHOOT2

enough

You have enough crap; folks will lend you the rest (if you need it; for a while).

Now go and have fun.

USPSA
A33102

Did I mention I just won a Glock 17?
Old August 15, 2005, 07:47 PM   #9
mr. pitiful

Old August 15, 2005, 07:56 PM   #10
mr. pitiful

Ok, here we go. Either IDPA or IPSC (USPSA) will work great for your Colt. A few things though. You cannot have or use 10 round mags in IDPA in a Colt 45ACP 1911. You will have to top off when you start out, but your gun will not fit in the IDPA box with an extended magazine. For IDPA, you will need (3) mags, for IPSC you will want (want, not need) at LEAST 4 mags and pouches. Dont bother with the Tungsten guide rod, as it wont make that much of a difference anyway, will save you $50.00+, and you cant use it for IDPA. Keep it simple and have fun. Dont get caught up in all of the "you have to buy this" stuff. It wont make a difference. If you want to buy something, get good sights. I would suggest a Heinie Slant Pro rear and a Dawson Fiber Optic front. But you dont need them. Check with the local club you will be shooting at to see how strict they are on the holster rules. Alot of clubs will let you use the Uncle Mikes $20.00 holster.
A couple of quick tips for you, dont shoot with your ears. Everyone tries to shoot the speed and cadence that they hear the person before them shot. Dont do it. Shoot when your sight falls back into place and no faster. Go too fast and you will drop points. Makes sure your mags are seated in your pouches with the bullets facing forward....trust me on that one. Dont load until they tell you too, and dont turn around with your gun in your hand. Just have fun. It is very addicting.

Mr. Pitiful