The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 8, 1999, 07:19 PM   #1
Highspeed

I've been looking at this CZ pistol over and over, it looks like a good, no-nonsense pistol for selfdefense at close ranges (redundant).
I see a nice grip (usual for CZ), I see a barrel that is positioned very close to the hand (like the M-40 series) and a nice construction. One of you guys had one for sale... In other words, what's the deal with this pistol?.

Old December 8, 1999, 08:00 PM   #2
pbash

The November 1997 issue of Handguns had the CZ-100 on it cover and a review inside. The gun they tested was an "ill-used prototype" and they had some functioning problems. However, the review was quite positive even though the reviewer admitted that he wasn't a huge fan of "late-20th-century plastic-framed creations". Other comments were "unfailingly pleasant to shoot", "excellent for threat management".

I've held one or two examples of these at gun shows and have almost bought one more than once. I didn't mostly because I already have enough "late-20th-century plastic-framed creations" and couldnt' justify another no matter how attractive the price.
Old December 8, 1999, 09:23 PM   #3
rblack

pbash, What kind of prices did you find on the CZ 100 at the gun shows. I'm going to a show this weekend and I too am kindof interested in this pistol. Thanks, Rod Black
Old December 9, 1999, 10:10 PM   #4
Walt Sherrill

Gun Tests magazine tested several 9mm a couple of months ago, and rated the CZ-100
as a "don't buy" primarily because of its
bad trigger.

APparently, in the sample they had, the polymer frame and the trigger connecter interacted in such a way that the trigger break was unpredictable and different with every shot. Except for that, they loved the gun.

I've swapped messages with some folks since then who have them, and say this is not a problem. Gun Tests is usually pretty good.

If you can get your hand on one, try the trigger and judge for yourself. Otherwise go for the CZ-75. At around $300, this is one of the best 9mms available!

Old December 10, 1999, 01:05 AM   #5
Destructo6

Guns and Ammo has the 9mm CZ-100 featured on pages 88-89 this month. The reviewers gave it very good-excellent marks for all aspects except the trigger, which got a "good." My suspicion is that the low trigger score is due to the 12 pound DAO action.

If they made this in a Glockish single action, I'd buy one post haste. I just can't stand DAO.

PS The clip-on lazer sight is pretty cool.
Old December 10, 1999, 06:08 AM   #6
Blue Heeler

I think you should look at the CZ75.IMHO
it is easily the best 9mm available today.
I had a 92F and borrowed a CZ to see how they
compared----wow--NO contest.CZ shot better
trigger was better grip was better--anything
was better.Did you know that the CZ is one of
the few autos that is actually run in in the
factory before sale--action is cycled in an
oil bath hundreds of times before the gun is
sold---who else does that?
Old December 10, 1999, 10:56 AM   #7
Skorzeny

Yes, and don't forget that every CZ (including even the CZ-83 in .380 ACP) comes with a factory target print-out showing how well each gun shoots.

You'd have to pay SIG prices to get that kind of attention to detail otherwise.

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu