The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old July 31, 2002, 03:42 PM   #1
hsg2001

Anybody who dry fires at their tv...

My 27" RCA crapped out on me, and I usually dry fire during commercials with a rifle or handgun. Now nothing is more satisfying than snapping a nice quick shot at carrot top!

Of course, anytime you dry fire you're running the risk of blowing something up...so I took the broken RCA to a choice spot in the woods. I loaded up a Cor-Bon +p 9mm round in a G17 and shot one round into the center of the screen, actually low left side.

The picture tube stopped the round. The round did not exit the tv case anywhere, baseball sized hole in the screen.

Just interesting to see what would happen if I ever had a ND, I think a vest behind the tv would almost ensure nobody else getting hurt from a handgun round fired into the tv accidentally.

I think i'll post a pic of the dead tv just for fun in the next few days.
Old August 1, 2002, 07:15 PM   #2

yes, please do

Old August 1, 2002, 09:18 PM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

The TV caught the round?
LOL
And it was a hot loaded Cor-Bon too.
I find that amusing. That's a tough TV.
Old August 1, 2002, 10:50 PM   #4
Jamie Young

Ok, ELVIS!

If you hit dead center of the tube, you hit the hardest part of the TV. I'm pretty sure tv tubes are like audio speakers. My bass speakers have about a 2inch magnet in the back. You'd need AP rounds to get threw that.
Old August 2, 2002, 01:45 AM   #5
boing

I'm not surprised. I've shot a few appliances (toasters, VCRs, TVs and monitor, and the like). They're really surprisingly resilient. 3 inch magnum 00 and 000 buck were no match for the ol' Magnavox, not too many pellets penetrated through and through.

The slugs did, though.
Old August 2, 2002, 02:03 AM   #6
Jamie Young

That should be a selling point.
Old August 2, 2002, 01:34 PM   #7
hsg2001

Soda:

It wasn't dead center, off center to the left.

I have the picture taken with a cheap digital camera. I just need to find the USB cable or invest in a smart card reader.
Old August 2, 2002, 01:54 PM   #8
Correia

At one of our Utah TFL get togethers we all brought various old appliances, computers, TVs, etc. and shot them. (And we cleaned up everything too, more than I can say for some of the guys who take junk out to the boonies to shoot).

I brought this 1970s VCR that my wife had. It had knobs on it, and weighed like 20 lbs. Heavy steel construction. They don't make VCRs like that any more. It stopped 230 gr .45 ball, no problem. 9mm richocheted off. 00 Buckshot made minor dings in it. At this point everybody is laughing at the bullet proof VCR, as it has been shot about 15 times to no avail. Finally I shot it with my .308 and that penetrated clean through it. However after it had taken several of those rounds it still looked like it could play tapes. We finally finished it off with a barage of 12 gauge slugs.

Sorry, your post just brought back old memories.
Old August 2, 2002, 02:02 PM   #9
hsg2001

I wish they still did make appliances like that! My current VCR could probably be shattered by a strong sneeze from a jaybird that just took a bath in some strong stetson.

I figured the 1990's made RCA 27" would've passed the 9mm out it's back side like a kidney stone, I guess a picture tube is pretty stout? Don't know.
Old August 2, 2002, 03:45 PM   #10
sven

I'll have to remember to strap a TV on if I ever get into a firefight.
Old August 2, 2002, 06:31 PM   #11
Jamie Young

I have a 400watt EV speaker I could lend you. I could even hook up a microphone to it so you could say "STOP! I'M WARNING YOU" if you ever get into a fire fight.

Try pulling a tv tube out of tv. They are bottom heavy. If you pick up a TV or computer monitor most of the weight you feel is actually what is at the base of the tube. Just like a light bulb. Whenever I use to replace PA speakers, or blow out bass speakers, I always had to be careful whenever I took the last screw out of the speaker. They use to just drop out and you'd have to catch it with one hand unless someone else was around to help.
Old August 3, 2002, 09:07 AM   #12
clown714

17"puter moniter stopped 3"00 12ga. at 15'

pretty impressive,

clown
Old August 8, 2002, 06:42 PM   #13
hsg2001

Here's the killed tv:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tv.jpg (85.8 KB, 337 views)
Old August 9, 2002, 01:06 AM   #14
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

When I worked at The Springs Digital Equipment Corp facility, we had some (mumble) techy-type (who wasn't?) come in on an off-shift, shot up a bunch of the R81/Vax-clusters (the old 14"/40 lb 250 meg drives) & then himself

Every one of the drives still worked (try that with today's 20 gig/2 ounce jobbers ).

The "joke" going around was "they take a shootin' & keep on bootin' " (yes, we were all sick .. )
Old August 13, 2002, 01:09 PM   #15
crashburnrepeat

I had a ND into an RCA 27" up in the top right corner. I shot it with a Hornady .223 55 gr V-Max. While I had glass fragments in my my hair and all over the floor, the bullet didn't penetrate any further than the glass.

It didn't penetrate the screen behind it, the case, any other electronics or the 6'x4' plate glass window behind it.

The only good part of that ND was I center punched Robert Reischhhhhhhhhh in the melon when I did it.

CrashBurnRepeat
Old August 14, 2002, 09:55 PM   #16
Brian Killing Tangos

This extreme violence towards household appliances is appalling!

I'm calling PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Appliances) and denouncing everyone in this thread!
Old September 10, 2002, 08:34 PM   #17
twix

Ah. didn't really mean too! But I shot my chronograph today. I don't mean the little support poles(I learned to use WOODEN dowels awhile ago). I clipped the rebuilt $50 Chronypal through part of the plastic at the rear and bowed out the back part of the metal case. And it still works. I don't even know what to say..