The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 10, 2002, 12:50 PM   #1
Futo Inu

Need more mult-tool help

Have a full-sized one; am now looking for the best VERY VERY small one that folds up to throw in the pocket. Have seen some cheap ones, but want a quality one. I don't care if the only tools it has are pliers, flathead, phillips - those are what I need - other tools are just a bonus (already have a pocketknife for cutting). I heard Gerber makes a very small one, but the smallest I'm seeing is the 400 which is still too big.

So, does anyone know of a high-quality subcompact tool, and where to buy? Thanks.
Old July 10, 2002, 12:58 PM   #2
Sisco

Crafstman makes a nice one, fits just right in your watch pocket. It has pliers of course, knife blade, large & small flat screwdrivers, phillips screwdriver, file, bottle opener & tweezers. Another nice thing, if you break it take it back to Sears and get a new one!
Old July 11, 2002, 11:45 AM   #3
Bruce626

Leatherman makes a tiny one

I received, as a promo gift item, a very small Letherman multitool that I now keep in my pocket. It has a flat blade and pseudo-phillips screwdrivers, pen knife blade, tiny tweezers, bottle opener, nail file, and scissor blades where the plier jaws normally are on the big guys. I think it is called the Leatherman Micro.
Old July 11, 2002, 11:53 AM   #4
stringj

I have to suggest what I carry, a M4 SEBERTOOL. Pliers, two sizes of flat screwdrivers, philips head, small knife, file and tweezers. Folds to a very small package.

http://sphynx.agrknives.com/seber/

Jerry
Old July 11, 2002, 12:21 PM   #5
Lord Grey Boots

Leatherman Micra

Knife, scissors, tweezers, bottle opener, screwdrivers, file.

leather micra info
Old July 11, 2002, 12:27 PM   #6
Sisco

Didn't know it until I saw the picture but the M4 Sebertool and the Craftsman are one and the same.
Old July 11, 2002, 12:27 PM   #7
Hemicuda

I carry the Leatherman Micra myself... fine little tool with a good warranty... they can be had for about 15 bucks, and carry the same warranty as the full-size leatherman!
Old July 12, 2002, 08:48 AM   #8
Futo Inu

Well guys, it ain't that simple. I had already handled the Sebertechs and Leatherman, and yes, that's right - the craftsman and sebertech m3 is identical, but for the brand stamp.

Problem is:

1. The Sebertech M3 and Craftsman phillips head is way too small for many uses. They ought to put a medium sized one on it, and it would be perfect.

2. The Leatherman doesn't have a pliers, the MAIN feature of a multi-tool.

3. The Sebertech M4 is a nice idea, but if you can believe it, the phillips head is way to LARGE for small/medium screwheads. These dipsticks cannot get it right and put a medium sized phillips head on a micro.

Sigh. I suppose there is no good micro at this time. Too bad.
Old July 12, 2002, 06:54 PM   #9
David Park

There is the Leatherman Mini-Tool, which is about the same size as the Micra. It has pliers instead of scissors but no Phillips head. There is also the Leatherman Juice series, which are about the size of a Swiss Army knife, but of course feature pliers.

Also check out the Swiss-Tech MicroPlus which is a nice little tool. The pliers are too small to be really useful, but the screwdrivers are excellent.
Old July 13, 2002, 02:44 AM   #10
Guyon

David Park got it right.

The mini-tool is just what it advertises--the smallest multi-tool with full-sized pliers. The handles fold twice, which makes it very compact.

I bought a mini-tool from some guy over on another forum for $15. Best $15 I ever spent. This tool is small but folds out into some solid full-sized pliers.

The main drawback? No phillips.