The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 29, 2002, 10:57 PM   #1
HKguy9

Beretta AL391 Tactical?

I thought about ditching my Benelli SBE and 'downgrading' to a Beretta 391 for clays and stuff...it just seems more sporty than the 'field' feel that the Benelli gives off. That, and I like the gel pad, and all the other nifty Beretta accessories.

Anyway, could the 391 be converted (using Beretta 1201 parts) to a tactical shotgun for backup when my Benelli M1 Super 90 is on the fritz?
Old June 30, 2002, 06:34 AM   #2
PJR

1201 parts won't fit on a 391.

For the games, there is no finer semi than the 391 or its predecessor the 390 but they are limited for other uses. The guns come from the factory plugged to 2+1 rounds. It is possible although complicated to remove the plug to 3+1. Magazine extensions can't work because of the gun's design.

For a while, I owned a Beretta 390 slug gun with a 22" rifle-sighted barrel and used it for deer. It did some varmint control duties as well. If you can live with the reduced capacity, then the 391 with an slug barrel would do the job.
Old June 30, 2002, 03:21 PM   #3
Gumbo

Its not that complicated to remove the plug. The cap that has the threaded rod that the piston and the forend cap sit on is held captive by a spring loaded pin. Field strip your 390, push in the pin located near the end of the mag tube and unscrew the above mentioned cap. It does not add much capacity but it does give a few more rounds. God only knows why Beretta dictates that you have a smith do this.