The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 21, 2024, 04:41 PM   #1
Doberman1

Best Mid-Sized Range Bag?

I have a large one I like but don't use it that often due to not needing the space all the time. I have a cheap sling bag from Amazon I'm using now for my smaller bag but it's not ideal.

I've learned that when purchasing bags I've yet to buy one and say I wish I had gotten a worse/cheaper bag. I'd like to hear what you guys are using. Any wisdom?
Old May 22, 2024, 08:33 AM   #2
zukiphile

Do you need a closed top? I'm a big fan of this one.

https://www.harborfreight.com/19-in-...ets-61470.html

It will carry ammunition boxes, a small tool kit, my small spotting scope, targets and muffs internally, and the exterior pockets will carry magazines, pens and tape.
Old May 22, 2024, 08:58 AM   #3
MarkCO

I use totes, like zukiphile. I have a few for different things.

But I am using DeWalt TStaks almost exclusively. I have a deck in the Ram and the Tahoe for them. One is a 7 pistol case, the soft caddy is my always to the range bag that has all the things I use frequently. Chrono, rangefinder, spotter, tools, cleaning stuff, etc.

Just got back from a major match using the deck in the truck bed. Took 5 total TStaks, worked great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZDFbUYPu7Y
Old May 22, 2024, 10:47 AM   #4
zukiphile

Quote:
...DeWalt TStaks...
I've lusted for one of those stacking wheeled storage systems, a big box on the bottom, a medium box in the middle for optics and a shallow box with a lot of dividers on top with everything small, all getting me to the line in one trip.

I don't know if the 19" bag is considered medium, but bringing just that, a rifle and a tripod forces me to focus on one just rifle in each session.
Old May 22, 2024, 03:13 PM   #5
OPC

I'm in similar position, wanting a more efficient solution; but what I would call medium may not be your idea of medium. I want to carry 4-5pistols in individual sleeves (can be used as a bench pad), a small tool kit, 2-pairs ear pro, and a pair of compact binoculars. I do not like backpack style and prefer to carry ammo in a separate ammo can.

That said, I've been looking at Savior Equipment. A co-worker uses them and brought in some of products and they seem well built (maybe a little over-built). I'm not sold on the price or the size/flexibility of their offerings, but I am tempted...
Old May 22, 2024, 08:25 PM   #6
jmr40

I use tool bags. Home Depot or most any building supply or tool store has them. They are generally better quality and cost less than bags designed as shooting bags.

Winston Churchill
Old May 23, 2024, 02:50 PM   #7
Shadow9mm

Not sure if this would qualify as mid sized, but I bought one of these around 17 years ago and its still holding up fairly well. Cant speak to the quality of current production, but I saw one in a Cabelas a while back and it looked and felt the same to me.

https://www.amazon.com/Bulldog-Cases...29&sr=8-2&th=1
Old May 24, 2024, 01:54 PM   #8
L. Boscoe

I used a Ruger bag for years until I got ergo grips on several pistols, then went to Smith and Wesson's bag on Amazon which accommodated the larger bundles. I use a separate bag for magazines and ammo, the one the came with the Ruger, much like a tote. Depends on what your shooting.
Old May 26, 2024, 07:53 AM   #9
Nathan

Quote:
I use tool bags. Home Depot or most any building supply or tool store has them. They are generally better quality and cost less than bags designed as shooting bags.
This is not bad advice. I think you will actually be happiest if you buy the cheaper ones as they are a bit lighter and more flexible. The heavier ones can be nice for holding heavy stuff like rests and tools.
Old June 3, 2024, 04:54 PM   #10
Doberman1

Thanks guys. So far, I think the Savior Equipment is about the size style I'm looking for. This is just to take when I'm only shooting 1 or 2 guns or to take to my league competitions. Not pulling the trigger yet, I like the "B' Vertx bag but they are very proud of them.
Old June 3, 2024, 08:47 PM   #11
BourbonCowboy

I like the Orca Tactical Bags. Not too big, not too small. That's why I've got 3 of them. You can look them up on YouTube.
Old June 5, 2024, 04:55 PM   #12
Doberman1

I saw one of the LA Police Gear bags yesterday. It was taller than I thought they were and now it's in the mix too. The guy had had it for 6 years and it showed no signs of wear.
Old June 10, 2024, 01:55 PM   #13
Erno86

I like a large fishing possible's bag to transport my pistols to the range. Now that I have a CCW permit for Maryland, I don't need to store my pistols under lock & key when I go to a sporting event.

--- George Orwell
Old June 10, 2024, 06:56 PM   #14
DT Guy

I've had a Midway 'competition' bag for 20 years or so, and it still looks like new. When I bought mine, it came with the 'stage' bag that held a couple guns and some ammo, so you could leave your tools and other stuff behind and just carry what you needed to a stage. I think those are now sold separately?

I do think that bag was a literal 'lifetime' purchase, for what it's worth.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos