The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 11, 2024, 01:10 AM   #1
stagpanther

Hand over scope to steady shot

There was a thread recently in which the topic of using a hand over the scope came up and I (stupidly) suggested that I thought the practice would likely hurt the consistency of the rifle by putting asymmetric pressure on the scope.

Today while shooting a 280AI rifle I was getting a unusually wide groupings (3" at 153 yds). The front rest point was pretty near the center of balance point of the rifle--I tried the hand over the scope to help counteract any possible pitching movement and the groupings immediately shrank dramatically. I'm now wondering how many tens of thousands of shots I've wasted before trying this.
Old May 11, 2024, 09:13 AM   #2
taylorce1

It's a pretty controversial topic, and you'll get a lot of opinions on it. I know Mark Bansner recommends this technique while shooting light rifles for groups. I posted a link to his video in the other topic. I think Mr Bansner knows a thing or two about building and shooting light rifles, and I wouldn't discount his knowledge on the subject.
Old May 11, 2024, 09:26 AM   #3
mehavey

Better technique for light rifles is a solid/consistent forearm hold.
Old May 11, 2024, 12:10 PM   #4
tangolima

Is 280 AI a stout round? Depending on the rifle setup, the recoil force can rotate the muzzle up before the bullet exits the bore. If that happens, it is generally not good for business. Looks like you might have that going on.

Putting hand on the scope adds downward torque on the rifle, so it helps. You just need to keep the rifle's forearm in contact with the front rest till the bullet exits the muzzle. There are few other methods doing the similar. Preloading bipod, adding lead weight to the forearm, installing softer recoil pad etc.

I occasionally put hands on the scope to help ridding canting with heavy and tall scope.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 11, 2024, 12:13 PM   #5
Pumpkin

I would think if your support arm is nice and steady you would have much more leverage than holding the forearm.
Question, why hold either when shooting from a bench? Unless you are shooting a cannon.
Old May 11, 2024, 12:18 PM   #6
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
I would think if your support arm is nice and steady you would have much more leverage than holding the forearm.

Question, why hold either when shooting from a bench? Unless you are shooting a cannon.
To pull the forearm down on the rest perhaps. It works the same as pushing it down from the top. Indeed it has more leverage (torque) than pressing on the scope.

-TL

Old May 11, 2024, 01:05 PM   #7
stagpanther

If you shoot rifles where the front rest is near the fulcrum point--for example an MDT chassis up against the barrier stop--then the hand over the scope definitely helps IMO. Think about leverage angles--if your forend hold is way out there--which do you think is going to make it easier to balance when the front contact rest is close to the fulcrum point?
Old May 11, 2024, 01:36 PM   #8
tangolima

Good point. Pressures on the rest contact point doesn't change the setup's balance.

-TL

Old May 11, 2024, 02:54 PM   #9
mehavey

I assume this is all predicated on the rifle resting on a bag or bar somewhere ahead of the action.

- Opt-1: Freehand on the scope
- Opt-2: Freehand holding the forearm in contact w/ the rest.

This should be a simple experiment.

I'll try it tomorrow w/ a Marlin 45-70.
Film at Eleven.
Old May 11, 2024, 04:45 PM   #10
stagpanther

Quote:
Lots of those on the PRS circuit.
Old May 11, 2024, 05:23 PM   #11
stagpanther

Here's the group I shot after a 3" group at 153 yards--only difference hand on the scope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 280 AI.jpg (229.6 KB, 134 views)
Old May 11, 2024, 06:28 PM   #12
mehavey

Quote:
Quote:
Lots of those on the PRS circuit.
Point taken ()
I'll drag out the Swift.

(I'd use the AR, but that would be cheating)
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=17

Last edited by mehavey; May 11, 2024 at 06:54 PM.
Old May 11, 2024, 06:29 PM   #13
tangolima

Good shooting, Panther.

I was doing barrel tuning (a poor man's version by monkeying with flash hider) on my AR in 6mm ARC, also at 150yd. After 20 rounds, I settled down with one setting and got 0.9moa 6-shot. Not as good but close.

75gr going around 2900fps. Not much of recoil. I will try putting my support in the rifle, scope or not, anyway to see whether it makes any difference.

-TL

Last edited by tangolima; May 11, 2024 at 06:49 PM.
Old May 11, 2024, 06:44 PM   #14
stagpanther

Quote:
Good shooting, Panther.

I was doing barrel tuning (a poor man's version by monkeying with flash hider) on my AR in 6mm ARC, also at 150yd. After 20 rounds, I settle down with one setting and got 0.9moa 6-shot. Not as good but close.

75gr going around 2900fps. Not much of recoil. I will try putting my support in the rifle, scope or not, anyway to see whether it makes any difference.
Thanks--But not much of a comparison--I have a custom-made 26" hand-lapped SS match-chambered fast-twist barrel, so I expect to get tight groups with it (assuming I do my part and feed it good ammo). I built a 6mm ARC AR myself and those teency weensie little groups everyone else seems to be getting with the ARC have so far eluded me. You've done better than I have with the ARC.

Last edited by stagpanther; May 11, 2024 at 07:01 PM.
Old May 11, 2024, 06:54 PM   #15
stagpanther

I think maybe there's a little fog about what I said about the scope over hand thing. I'm talking mostly about long barrel rifle set up principally for precision shooting. Balance and weight distribution are very important and have a big effect on consistency. I have quite a few rifles that sit on short gen 1 MDT LSS chassis; no matter what you rest the forend on you're going to have that point close to the fulcrum point for the whole rifle.
Old May 11, 2024, 07:09 PM   #16
tangolima

I am quite happy with consistent sub-moa, 150yd with some varying cross wind. By far this is the most successful part of my AR experiment. Will bring it out to 300yd in the valley of crazy winds next.

-TL

Old May 11, 2024, 08:03 PM   #17
stagpanther

What bullet and powder?
Old May 11, 2024, 09:03 PM   #18
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
What bullet and powder?
Bullet is Speer 75gr varmint. Powder is A2230. Brass is Hornady 6.5mm Grendel converted.

-TL

Old May 12, 2024, 01:17 AM   #19
stagpanther

Your velocities look oddly low--should be able to get way beyond that I would think?
Old May 12, 2024, 02:04 AM   #20
tangolima

Hornady published 2 load tables; gas gun and non gas gun. I use gas gun table for AR, which has lower pressure. It maxes out at 2950 fps. My load is a few percent below max for better group. I think it is not too much out of whack.

-TL

Old May 12, 2024, 06:49 AM   #21
stagpanther

Ah yes--I keep thinking for some reason it was faster than that. I spent a lot of time with it and never did get "BR-like" results with it and just shelved it.
Old May 12, 2024, 07:37 AM   #22
stagpanther

Pretty interesting--I'm looking at Hodgdon's listings for the ARC and my QL says many of them are over-loaded and over-pressured. I assume they used a bolt gun to test; I know there is some difference between the two but it's pretty rare that a company lists a different load set for gas and non-gas guns--more complications to add to the mix.
Old May 12, 2024, 10:17 AM   #23
tangolima

Different load tables for different type of guns is not unheard of. Hornady has .223 and 5.56, .30-06 and service rifle etc. Hodgedon's online load center doesn't do as good a job. They just pool everything together. At the end of day, we the handloaders are the one who should make the wise decisions.

Sub-moa of my load may come with a bit of conflation. It hoovers around 1moa, mostly slightly under. It will spill over 1 if I slack off just a tiny bit. That's 1.5" at 150yd, not quite stacking over each kind of groups as in BR competitions.

-TL

Old May 12, 2024, 11:54 AM   #24
stagpanther

Agreed--BUT a cartridge doesn't make up its mind whether or not it's going to shoot differently between a gas gun and a bolt gun if they are both made to SAAMI standards; might be some minor variation if there is a marked difference in chamber or freebore dimensions--or simply what the gun is rated to.

Just out of curiosity, I picked a random load of ARC cartridges in a combination I'd never used before (BLC-2 and 95 gr TMK) and went out for an "old times sake" test firing. And I used the "hand over scope technique" for the first time with my 20" monster barrel AR15.

First few shots were to foul the barrel and find the range, last time I shot the gun was over 200 yds. Then I shot this at 153 yds.

I've never got anywhere close to this previously; just one random load I picked off the top of my head (QL says it's near max but Hodgdon says it's much lower). The shot at the far upper right I took with exactly the same position and pull of the trigger--except no pressure on the top of the scope. Maybe the subsequent shots might have landed just as well next to it had I taken them without the hand on the scope thing--but here's the thing; the 4 shot group landed exactly where I did the did the elevation and windage adjustments to adjust on the SWFA scope--and of course the POA.

Might be mumbo jumbo voodoo--but that's how I'm shooting from now on off a rest (unless it's a heavy long-barreled rifle with a rigid long stock).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6ARC 95 TMK.jpg (214.3 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; May 12, 2024 at 12:12 PM.
Old May 12, 2024, 02:22 PM   #25
taylorce1

I say keep doing what works, scopes aren't that fragile.
Resting a hand on top isn't going to hurt anything.