The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 4, 2023, 10:23 PM   #1
cdoc42

It's never too late

You will never load long enough to experience everything that can happen.

I have never had this experience in 47 years. I'm loading .38 special, 125gr JHP with BullsEye to establish an alternative if need be, to Unique.

I shot the 1000 Remington bullets I purchased from MidWay USA when bulk purchases were not particularly inhibited by shipping costs, and replaced them with 10 bags of 100 each of Winchester 125 JHP. I have 3 bags left and have had no problems with the first 700.

In the process of seating 30 rounds, I seated a round and the bullet dropped deep enough in the case to escape proper seating and crimp. The OAl length of the case was fine at 1.145 inches and another bullet fit well, so the flare was not excessive. It turned out that the bullet diameter at the base was 0.352" and the OAL was 0.555." All other bullets in the bag of 100 were .356 and 0.545" long.

I'm suspecting this bullet escaped control mechanisms or happened to be the end of a run and the first to enter the bag of a new run of .38/.357 bullets.

No harm, no foul, just an interesting issue to remind us to keep alert when handloading.
Old May 4, 2023, 11:24 PM   #2
tangolima

I recently had similar experience with loading 6.5 creedmoor. I have fancy bushing die with no expander. When I switched to speer bullet, the bullet could almost fall into the brass by its own weight. Looked again. The bullet diameter is 0.263", instead of the usual 0.264". Changing the bushing to 0.002" smaller fixed the problem.

It is my first bushing die. I like it despite its higher price. I would have bought another for .243 win if I haven't bought a full-length die set for it.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 5, 2023, 11:31 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Don't know the precision of your bullet diameter measurements, but would guess a 124-grain 9 mm JHP got mixed in with your bullets intended for 38/357.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 5, 2023, 05:28 PM   #4
cdoc42

That sounds reasonable, as I find it difficult to deal with the degree of pressure used in measuring with the Lyman digital micrometer.

I tried sending an informational, not a complaint, message to Winchester, but after I completed all of the requested information, having agreed that I am not a robot, it somehow got lost in the technological milieu and failed to proceed.
Old May 6, 2023, 12:04 PM   #5
tangolima

A caliper reading varies easily+/-0.002". With trained hands, it can be better, but +/-0.001" is no uncommon. The jaws flexes with force.

Keep measuring work piece with known thickness / diameter. Regulate the pressure applied for closest readings consistently. Try applying the same pressure every time thereafter.

Measuring outside diameter works better than inside diameter.

-TL

Old May 7, 2023, 04:23 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Pinch the jaws closed between the thumb and index finger, both to zero and to measure. This eliminates the beam flexure experienced when using your thumb to push it along the top of the beam. More consistent, IME.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; May 8, 2023 at 02:59 PM. Reason: typo fix
Old May 7, 2023, 04:37 PM   #7
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
Pinch the jaws closed between the thumb and index finger, both to zero and to measure. this eliminates the beam flexure experienced when using your thumb to push it along the top of the beam. More consistent, IME.
Neat trick. Thanks. It makes sense.

The other trick is to place the piece close to root of the jaws, instead of the tips.

-TL

Old May 7, 2023, 07:05 PM   #8
cdoc42

Thanks - I will put that into practice at the next round of reloading.