The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 1, 2023, 09:58 AM   #26
stagpanther

Quote:
My rifle has NATO 5.56 chamber.
I had a sneaking suspicion that was the case, I got thrown a bit by your reference to .223 rem specifications. I don't know if it's even possible to find a true .223 rem AR barrel these days without custom ordering it. Obviously longer freebore/leade of the 5.56 (and Wylde and match; which I think are essentially the same things) should enable you to seat bigger bullets longer.
Old May 1, 2023, 02:27 PM   #27
tangolima

Indeed. All my stuff is 5.56 compatible (NATO or Wylde), including mini-14. I always measure the coal that corresponds to 0 bullet jump for any load I try to analyze on GRT. It affects the results quite noticeably.

With correct bullet jump included, I found MV changes little with seating depth. The theory is the bullet is pushed to engage rifling before ignition starts.

I was about to buy QL. That was time when GRT started. I was so impressed that I have become their Patreon supporter almost since day one. Too bad Gordon passed away prematurely. I'm in debt to him for such a good tool. His wife was so kind that we get to continue using the software even after patrone donation was suspended. I will go back in as soon as they restart.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 1, 2023, 03:48 PM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanter
Were you accounting for tested data out of 24" barrel and the OP's 18" AR barrel? When I did a search on hogdon's site for 62 gr bullets using CFE 223 it came up with the barnes TAC x and the scirroco; I assumed the OP was using the barne's data for comparison.
You may be right. I was assuming he used the Sirocco because he was using a Hornady FMJ, and the Sirocco would be closer than the Barnes. The Barnes loads are usually lower rather than higher than those for cup and core bullets both because they are harder and less dense, and therefore longer, both of which factors raise pressure. I did not adjust for his 18" barrel because I was just trying to demonstrate the software could be tweaked to get a good match to a result from Hodgdon. Once tweaked, one can apply it to the same cartridge and similar-weight bullets.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 1, 2023, 03:54 PM   #29
stagpanther

I was just eyeballing ball 855 battle pack ammo today (I finally ran out of the thousand or so rounds I had). Is that 62 gr 3100 fps and nice accuracy essentially what your after?. Tempting as it is--going beyond their specs may not get results as good (but I do hope you succeed ). I don't have any 62 gr bullets--but I do have many pounds of CFE 223--it was one of the few powders that seemed to be always available during the great reloading recession (which isn't over yet--like the other one).
Old May 1, 2023, 04:15 PM   #30
tangolima

I have a bunch of 62gr FMJBT and a few lb of cfe223. Just wanted to develop a load for the combination. No idea what the military load was doing. The best grouping load I have had was with 72gr speer round nose bullet and shooter's world ar plus powder. Slightly better than 1" at 100yd with peep sight.

GRT results always have predicted faster MV than Chrono. That's being conservative. This is the first time it goes the other way, big time too. That's what startled me.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 1, 2023, 04:50 PM   #31
Marco Califo

I think it is worthwhile to grab any handy magnet and check your 62 gr FMJ bullets to make sure they are what you think they are. If the magnet sticks then you have the M855 steel penetrator NATO bullets. Hornady makes 62 gr. FMJ that are not magnetic.
There are restrictions on the use of bullets with steel in National Forests as they spark.
Old May 2, 2023, 02:38 AM   #32
Metal god

FWIW , I have a pound+ of CFE-223 to trade if you find you like it . I have nothing in mind for the trade , I just don't need/want it and if you want it and have something I may want I'm open to a trade . I say 1lb+ because I had 2 pounds ( same lot ) and I used a bunch of the first pound . In stead of keeping two bottles I poured the used bottle into the full 1lb bottle making an amount more then one pound in one bottle .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .