The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 13, 2022, 12:17 AM   #1
old fart

Question on condensation?

My wife got me a Ruger American in 308 this past Valentines Day and I put a Bushnell scope on it, set it and it is a tack driver. Now deer season in on here in Kentucky and we have a cold one going on, daily temps in 30's mostly to low 40's, mornings in upper teens to low 20's. I came in today from hunting and my gun soon had water all over it, I kept wiping and wiping with a dry cloth till it was dry. I then wiped it back down with oil and ran a oil patch down the bore. Now for my questions, do I need to remove the action from the stock daily and clean inside too? or can that wait till after the 16 day season. Today I only wiped it back down and did not do a complete takedown from the stock. Thanks for any help.
Old November 13, 2022, 07:52 AM   #2
LeverGunFan

I suggest that you place the gun in a good zipper case or hard case before you bring it into the house after hunting. Then the cold gun will not be in contact with the warm, more humid air in the house. Be sure that you place it into the case while outside in the cold dry air. Once the gun and case have warmed up to room temperature, you can take the gun out of the case if you need to; it may take several hours to warm up. For peace of mind you may want to take the action out of the stock now to check for any condensation, but if you prevent the cold gun from contacting warm humid air you shouldn't have to do it again.
Old November 13, 2022, 10:16 AM   #3
tango1niner

If it is cold out I try to keep the rifle in a cold environment like an unheated garage or breezeway. When I bring the rifle in from the cold while in the COLD breezeway I wrap well in a heavy blanket and then bring inside the house. I don't unwrap for at least 3 or more hours and all is good.

I usually don't bring in the house until the end of the season or if for some reason I have to.

In your situation I would remove from the stock and dry. With a now warmed rifle I would oil.
Old November 13, 2022, 08:32 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I would disassemble it.
Old November 15, 2022, 03:19 PM   #5
old fart

Thanks everyone, I took the action out of the stock just to be safe and dried and oiled. I guess I will have to do this when I hunt because I have no out building to store it and am afraid to leave it in my car even tho I live in a very rural area. I wasn't able to check zero after the takedown till this morning when a nice doe came into my back yard. At about 80 yards the American 308 placed the shot perfect where I aimed, she never knew what hit her. I have went and bought Barricade and some grease as well as wax to help till end of season which is 12 days more. Thanks again for all the help.
Old November 15, 2022, 04:10 PM   #6
FITASC

I would disassemble, wipe it down and put some paste wax on the metal areas to help prevent condensation.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 15, 2022, 08:35 PM   #7
berettaprofessor

Quote:
I guess I will have to do this when I hunt because I have no out building to store it and am afraid to leave it in my car even tho I live in a very rural area.
For goodness sake, buy a rifle case. Or, if money is tight, a long plastic bag...and then do what Levergunfan said....anything to keep air from it while it warms.
Old November 15, 2022, 09:40 PM   #8
old fart

I am in the process of buying a case but it will be after season, but I will have one for next time I go out, probably after coyotes in a few weeks. Thanks
Old November 15, 2022, 09:45 PM   #9
old fart

Which would be better a soft case or a hard case. I am on a budget. Thanks
Old November 15, 2022, 11:30 PM   #10
FITASC

A lined case, either style
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa