The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2021, 03:28 PM   #1
PolarFBear

9mm, Unique & 147 gr FMJ

I usually load 124 gr copper washed (Barry's) or self-cast wheel weight lead over WIN 236/HP38. Shortages what they are I'm proposing 147 grain FMJ over 4.0 grains of Unique (looks like tiny lumps of coal). The bullet is heavier than I'm used to and a powder I'm unfamiliar with. This seems to be a just a litttle over a medium load and estimate 894 fps with about 23,500 psi. I'll load to 1.169 COL: Lyman Pistol & Revolver Manual. I have done 50 so far but have yet to test them. All loaded on a Dillon 550b with Dillon dies and a Lee powder measure. All hand primed with Winchester primers. Suggestions, real experiences???
Old March 15, 2021, 04:01 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

CAUTION!

Looks like coal? All the Unique I've ever had is flat disc flakes. But it has been a while since I bought any and I know they've been changing some powders, so I'd call Alliant to learn if that appearance has changed. If it hasn't, then you've somehow got the wrong powder in your container.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 15, 2021, 04:01 PM   #3
74A95

What specific FMJ bullet and brand are you using?

1.169" might not be the OAL you use. That length is the 9mm's Maximum OAL, but many bullets loaded that long won't fit in a chamber. Look for the specific length used for specific bullets, and not the number from the diagram.
Old March 15, 2021, 04:10 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

I suggest you STOP loading (for now) and test the ammo in the gun(s) you intend to use it in.

There's no point in making a lot of rounds UNTIL you know that they are going to work. Otherwise you may be busy with a bullet puller....

The rounds need to fit in the magazine, all the way from bottom to top and move freely, and they need to feed and chamber properly in your gun.

1.169" rounds SHOULD do this but may not in some guns due to individual tolerances.
I have data that says 4.1gr Unique gives approx 950fps with a 125gr bullet. The 147 is significantly heavier, so velocity will be lower. Possibly not enough to cycle the action of your gun.

Time to do shooting tests and find out, before loading more ammo.
Good Luck
Old March 15, 2021, 08:08 PM   #5
gwpercle

Double check the powder ... Unique looks more flake than lump of coal .
Small round flat flakes ... if Unique then test fire some right now .
I had to increase my charges three times to get one of my 9mm lugers to function 100% with a load that should have worked .
The starting point was a middle of the road charge ... it should have been plenty but some 9mm's are finicky about what they digest . Pulling even 50 bullets is a pain ... make darn sure they work before loading a bunch ... Trust me on this !
Gary
Old March 15, 2021, 08:20 PM   #6
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
Double check the powder ... Unique looks more flake than lump of coal .
Small round flat flakes ... if Unique then test fire some right now .
I had to increase my charges three times to get one of my 9mm lugers to function 100% with a load that should have worked .
The starting point was a middle of the road charge ... it should have been plenty but some 9mm's are finicky about what they digest . Pulling even 50 bullets is a pain ... make darn sure they work before loading a bunch ... Trust me on this !
Gary
I had to pull over 300 the other day...... I cannot recommend it.

I generally do a ladder test when working up a load
for 9mm, generally 3 rounds in 0.2g increments from start to max looking for pressure signs. Once I know max is safe, or my max in my gun, i can play around anywhere I want under that.

Then I generally load batches of 5-10rnds to check velocity and function.

Once I have a load I like i write it down on a 3x5 card and put it in my recipe book

Only then, will I load boxes of 50 or more.

Also, yes double check the powder, that does not sound right.

Also 1.169 is too long imho, I keep my max col for 9mm at 1.160 personally. Lots of factory ammo is much shorter than that.

On a note of inconsistent metering, make sure the powder measure is fully degreased

Last edited by Shadow9mm; March 16, 2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old March 15, 2021, 08:28 PM   #7
Bilbo463

Don’t mean to add to your worries, but........

I also have a Dillon 550b and I just couldn’t get Unique powder to meter properly. I’d get very light loads, then heavy loads. It became so troublesome that I ended up giving the powder to my brother. If you do a search on the internet you’ll find that the problem is well known by others.
Old March 15, 2021, 10:31 PM   #8
rc

1.169 never works well for 9mm. That is extreme max and most factory ammo is more like 1.130 to 1.150. Make sure it fits your magazines.
Old March 16, 2021, 08:31 AM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

1.169" is intended as the maximum end of the tolerance range for military-style elliptical fmj nose profiles. Everything else has to be shorter. Even with the military profile (some commercial hardball bullets have a more hemispherical tip and are shorter) manufacturers typically load at least 0.010" short so ± variation in seating depth doesn't accidentally put them over that maximum.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 16, 2021, 01:19 PM   #10
PolarFBear

Thanks to all. The powder IS Unique. My comparison to "little lumps of coal" was maybe a slight exageration. But, compared to WIN 231, it was "accurate". I loaded a magful of "dummy" rounds at 1.169 (actually 1.168) and tried them in all my 9MMs. They ran well in every one, from P38 to 9mm Springfield, EXCEPT the Mitchell Luger. No worry, the Luger is a TRUE "safe Queen". I loaded "long" to minimize case pressure. Not having worked with the 147gr FMJ I didn't want to squeeze that long projectile too deeply into the case. I live in the city so I've yet to range test the rounds. More later. Oh, I did NOT use a Dillon powder measure. I use a Lee powder measure wth disk #43. Unique metered an even 4 g, measured on a Dillon beam balance, every time I checked a "pull". I will load no more until I test fire these 50.
Old March 16, 2021, 04:28 PM   #11
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
I had to pull over 300 the other day...... I cannot recommend it.

I generally do a ladder test when working up a load
for 9mm, generally 3 rounds in 0.2g increments from start to max looking for pressure signs. Once I know max is safe, or my max in my gun, i can play around anywhere I want under that.

Then I generally load batches of 5-10rnds to check velocity and function.

Once I have a load I like i write it down on a 3x5 card and put it in my recipe book

Only then, will I load boxes of 50 or more.

Also, yes double check the powder, that does not sound right.

Also 1.169 is too long imho, I keep my max col for 9mm at 1.160 personally. Lots of factory ammo is much shorter than that.

On a note of inconsistent metering, make sure the powder measure is fully degreased
So what happened ... what went wrong to the tune of "I had to pull over 300 ."
Just trying to learn ... I don't mind learning from others and do take advice .
You can learn two ways the "hard" way ... that's when you make the mistake
and the "easy" way ... someone else makes the mistake and tells you don't do it this way . I've learned things the hard way in the past way to many times !
Gary
Old March 16, 2021, 06:53 PM   #12
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
So what happened ... what went wrong to the tune of "I had to pull over 300 ."
Just trying to learn ... I don't mind learning from others and do take advice .
You can learn two ways the "hard" way ... that's when you make the mistake
and the "easy" way ... someone else makes the mistake and tells you don't do it this way . I've learned things the hard way in the past way to many times !
Gary
Loading 124g hornady XTP in 9mm, they have a real long bearing surface on the side. I did not double check my load data when working up a new load like and idiot. I went off max OAL, I think I loaded to 1.150. I also failed to try a plunk test before starting loading. I did my test loads, about 10round, which all fired fine.

I had just got a new progressive press and loaded all 300 and decided a loaded cartridge gauge would be a good idea. None would fit. I double checked my Hornady data and they were supposed to be loaded to 1.100.....

So I managed to find a collet puller and a collet, after using using the hammer bullet puller for about 50 and about losing my mind.

Long story short, measure twice, check the book twice, make sure it will plunk test/cartridge gauge, then load. As long as I have been loading I should know better by now...

Last edited by Shadow9mm; March 16, 2021 at 07:07 PM.
Old March 16, 2021, 09:28 PM   #13
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post

I had just got a new progressive press and loaded all 300 and decided a loaded cartridge gauge would be a good idea. None would fit. I double checked my Hornady data and they were supposed to be loaded to 1.100.....
Did the ones that failed the case gauge still fit in your chamber?
Old March 16, 2021, 10:44 PM   #14
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74A95 View Post
Did the ones that failed the case gauge still fit in your chamber?
Sort of, they chambered and fed when I shot my test loads. After they failed the gauge I did a plunk test, they failed, but not by a huge ammount. I'm guess the extra case space made up for the bullets hitting the lands.... not completely sure. No crazy pressure signs, just mildly flattened primers. I considered re seating the bullets, but since it was a max load I needed to re-test before pushing them down another 0.040
Old March 21, 2021, 09:01 AM   #15
Charlie98

Be very careful with your COAL and that 147grn bullet. I got into trouble in the Early Days of my reloading... loading Unique and the 147 near max. Although Unique is a very forgiving powder, that much bullet weight in that tiny case can quickly lead to pressure issues, as they did in my HiPower.