The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2016, 06:28 AM   #1
rebs

ergomomic handle for LNL AP ?

If you guys bought one of these, how is it working for you ? What is your setup height and did you buy the short or long version ?
Old January 31, 2016, 02:32 PM   #2
Real Gun

Mine is mounted at 45" on an Inline Fabrications high mount. The ergo handle works well for me but kept coming loose until I put on a washer.
Old January 31, 2016, 02:59 PM   #3
rebs

Mine is mounted right on the bench. I sit on like a bar stool so I can see and check the powder. Would I need the long or short handle ?
Old January 31, 2016, 04:15 PM   #4
Real Gun

I can see powder handily when standing. My handle looks like it would be awkward to pull while sitting down, so I will guess you would need a short handle. I don't know which I have.
Old January 31, 2016, 06:08 PM   #5
rebs

I sit because of a bad back that won't allow me to stand for long. I am thinking about the ergo handle because of a bad shoulder.
Old February 1, 2016, 07:26 AM   #6
Real Gun

I looked at some pictures and am convinced mine is the standard ergo.

Here is the picture of the short ergo, although the press is on an Ultramount rather than a bench. I would think this is the one you would want to avoid too much shoulder extension.

I am wondering whether you or someone could rig a foot pedal assist to take over in about mid-stroke.
Old February 3, 2016, 05:31 PM   #7
LE-28

Quote:
Mine is mounted right on the bench. I sit on like a bar stool so I can see and check the powder. Would I need the long or short handle ?
That depends on whether your loading rifle or pistol.

The long handle gives you more leverage for the hard to resize cases like the larger bottle neck rifle cases.

The short handle works well with straight wall pistol/revolver rounds that don't resize that hard.

What's your application for this press is will tell you what handle you want.

I'm still using my factory handle, I put it in an arbor press and bent it to fit over the top of the bench. I bent it about 4" down from the ball. My press is mounted directly on the bench. Depending on how tall you are also has a bearing on the handle you use or how far to bend it.

Inline fabrication's handle look really nice but I never wanted to spend the money on one. My bent handle works well for me.
Old February 3, 2016, 05:44 PM   #8
thump_rrr

I made one myself for $5.00.
I was too lazy to make a roller handle.

Old February 3, 2016, 06:04 PM   #9
LE-28

Thump, that's pretty good!

I like that. I just did a simple bend to the factory handle. I guess I'm even lazier!
Old February 4, 2016, 06:56 AM   #10
rebs

Thump you did an excellent job on making that handle. You could make them and sell them, I bet a lot of guys would buy one