The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 22, 2015, 10:12 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

That'll be a tough one.
You'll either have to go with trial and error, and a gunsmith's spring box; or get some measurements, spring strength, do a few calculations, do a little research, and order something that's the right diameter, strength, and length (or suitable for being cut down).

I am not a gunsmith, but even I have a fair assortment of springs that I've collected. Take some measurements of the spring, including wire diameter, and post a picture here. Perhaps I (or another member) will have something that may work.
Old October 29, 2015, 02:46 PM   #27
Paul B.

I have three rifles chambered to the .35 Whelen. Two are no problem at all but one, a Ruger tang safety version has a serious headspace problem. Now each one of my .35's has it's ow resizing die set up to properly size the brass for that one rifle. The Ruger required a bit of special effort to get squared away. I took some 30-06 brass and sized it through the die for the Ruger. I then loaded up the brass using an old Lyman mold for a 280 gr. bullet and using a moderate load with the bullet seated to engage the rifling, firearm that brass to fit the chamber. I then set that die to size the brass so that the shoulder is in the proper place to not give case head separations which it what happens when shooting factory ammo. One of these days I have to take it to my gunsmith and have the headspace properly checked, then off to Ruger to get it fixed. One problem is I have heard that Ruger doesn't fix most problems with tang safety rifles. Guess I'll have to give them a call. They say they don't have the parts. I have seen complaints to that effect on other sites.
Paul B.
Old October 29, 2015, 04:03 PM   #28
FrankenMauser

Paul, if it's just a barrel replacement, Ruger should fix it.

It's when you get into other parts, like the trigger group and safety, that Ruger pulls the "We don't have parts"-card.