The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 30, 2015, 05:06 PM   #1
AirCool65

Polish Mauser K29 question

I was rummaging around in my gun safe and came across my old Polish Mauser K29. I bought this years ago (like 1969 - 1971) in a Sears store (of all places). I haven't fired it in years and since I've migrated more toward pistols lately, so I was wondering what it might be worth.

I did some looking around online and see that on one website, people say that the K29 manufactured in Radom in 1930 is supposedly rare. Mine's not in bad shape, but the stock was sporterized before I bought it.

oops... posting pictures doesn't seem to be working for me.

Last edited by AirCool65; April 30, 2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old April 30, 2015, 08:39 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

After Germany lost WWI, part of the reparations was loss of its system of arsenals. The Danzig arsenal was closed in June of 1921 and its machinery and tooling transferred to the Radom arsenal in the new country of Poland, along with many complete and partially complete rifles. The Poles decided to convert the old long Gewehr 98 to a more modern configuration as well as manufacture new rifles on the German tooling. The ultimate result was the Wzor (Model) 1929, or Wz 29. It is sometimes said to be identical to the German K.98k, but it is actually pre-dates that rifle and has more in common with the Czech Vz 24.

After the Germans occupied Poland, splitting that unhappy country with the USSR, Polish rifles were taken into German service although, like the Czech rifles they differed enough from the standard K.98k that they were often issued to rear area troops or organizations like the Waffen SS. Most were used on the Russian front, which is why they tend to be uncommon in the U.S. Like other Mauser 98 rifles, they were often used as the basis for sporting rifles, with conversion ranging from a hacksaw job on the stock to elaborate and costly custom gunsmith work. Polish rifles were well made, and much desired for conversion, but once that was done, most of the collector value was lost.

A Wz 29 in top original condition can range up close to $3000, with most good ones going around $2000-2500. A "sporterized" one would go for less than half that.

Jim
Old May 1, 2015, 08:00 AM   #3
AirCool65

The stock modifications aren't what I'd call a hacksaw job... they were done by someone that knew what they were doing (most likely a factory somewhere). The upper handguard was removed, but it's still got the metal butt plate and ramp-type rear sight. It's a good shooter and back when I bought it, it was just $69.95 at the local Sears Roebuck store in upstate NY.

I wonder what I'm doing wrong with the pictures. Do Photobucket images work in here?

Last edited by AirCool65; May 1, 2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old May 1, 2015, 08:16 AM   #4
AirCool65

Looks like the pictures worked this time.