The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 14, 2013, 10:28 PM   #26
serf 'rett

Get a coon dog.
Old May 15, 2013, 01:28 AM   #27
poline

"Drill the flash hole bigger".........Can anyone tell me What dia would that be?
Old May 15, 2013, 08:46 AM   #28
g.willikers

If you're using a cartridge case and plastic bullet with large pistol primers, there's no need to make the primer hole larger.
Before better ways to practice in the basement came along, I used to use this method for .44.
They worked just fine as-is.
Old May 17, 2013, 06:21 AM   #29
Newton24b

i believe the op is refusing to really look at the question. the only way to get rid of a raccoon is to well, shoot it with a bullet.
Old May 17, 2013, 07:53 AM   #30
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by poline
"Drill the flash hole bigger".........Can anyone tell me What dia would that be?
Large primers are 0.210 diameter. 3/16" is 0.1875, which would leave a lip just over 0.01 around the edge. A little smaller hole might be better. Maybe 5/32.

The electric fence is a good idea. As I said, you need a 24hr sentry. Anything else and it'll just learn to be there when you're not.
Old May 18, 2013, 04:57 AM   #31
muggsjunior

Quote:
i believe the op is refusing to really look at the question. the only way to get rid of a raccoon is to well, shoot it with a bullet.
How am I refusing to look at the question? The question was "How do I make blanks", something that hasn't been fully answered yet. I take offense to your comment. I'm trying to avoid shooting the raccoon! How to get rid of a raccoon was never the question and would be an inappropriate post in a reloading forum anyway.

So, the question still remains: How do you make a blank?
Old May 18, 2013, 06:38 AM   #32
hodaka

A popped primer is something of a blank. If you added a little fast powder and a paper plug you may have a louder blank but the paper would still fly out the end of the barrel but not far.
Old May 18, 2013, 07:22 AM   #33
Sarge

A couple of years ago, we lived in Raccoon Detroit City. The farmhouse had a 60's wooden screen door on the back porch (where the toolbox and dog food were kept) and they found innovative ways to get it open and wreck the place. It was hilarious to watch and I developed an affection for the miserable things... to the extent of naming individual marauders after politicians and other famous criminals.

I started out with a gas powered BB pistol, threw rocks and even kicked one off the back step. They were undeterred and I ended up killing four. I used a .22 pistil with 36 grain Federal HP, 40 S&W and 45 ACP SWC loads. All were effective; they are not hard to kill.

But I sure hated to do it.
Old May 18, 2013, 07:55 AM   #34
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggsjunior View Post
How am I refusing to look at the question? The question was "How do I make blanks", something that hasn't been fully answered yet. I take offense to your comment. I'm trying to avoid shooting the raccoon! How to get rid of a raccoon was never the question and would be an inappropriate post in a reloading forum anyway.

So, the question still remains: How do you make a blank?
That particular question was answered in the first reply, a link to Hornady die for making blanks.
Old May 19, 2013, 02:41 AM   #35
muggsjunior

Yes, the dies are the tools required, but I still need a recipe. Do I use a standard load without the bullet or do I need to reduce it? And what about wading? Anybody?