The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 8, 2013, 05:07 PM   #26
kraigwy

Quote:
CCW students as nothing more than a way to make money on government-required fees
Not me, I don't charge for my classes. Further, I got the club to waive the range fees ($5 for non-members).

Most of the ladies I teach couldn't afford to attend a class where they had to pay $250 or more. Heck I even provide the ammo.

They already paid via their tax dollars, the government (City, State, and Federal) paid a lot of money to train me as a firearm instructor of one sort or the other.

I don't charge for my rifle clinics either, but that's for selfish reason, I want to get rifle matches started in this area and one way to get interest is free rifle clinics.

Besides, I don't want SD or shooting sports to become a rich man's (or women's) game.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 8, 2013, 05:15 PM   #27
pax

Kraig ~

More power to you! I hope you always have lots of students, and that you impress on your students that they need to learn more as and when they are able.

To be clear, I absolutely applaud volunteer efforts -- when they are done by people who have done their homework and strive to provide good quality instruction, by people who understand the frightening level of trust students place in you when they come to you. I'm not a fan of half-hearted, half-assed efforts from people who haven't done their homework and are just trying to save a few bucks (or just trying to skim some easy fees from rubes who don't know what they're missing). But I don't think you or anyone here would do that.

On the flip side, "the laborer is worth his wages." Honest work should be rewarded with honest pay, and you can't feed your family on air & love. So while voluntarism is admirable, there's also nothing wrong with making a living at it.

pax