The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 11, 2011, 02:43 PM   #1
dc9137

Glock 23 vs 27

I’m taking my concealed carry class in December and want to get my carry gun soon so I can get plenty of range time before the class. I fired several different models (Kahr, Springfield, Glock) and have narrowed it down to Glock 23 or Glock 27. I went to the range and rented both to see which I like better and left more confused than I went in. I’m basing the decision on 4 key factors.
  • Accuracy - I have big hands and follow-on shots were more difficult with the 27. I had to adjust my grip sometimes which leads me to believe I would use a magazine with the finger extension so I could get a better grip (I’ve shot the 26 with extension and it was no problem). The problem is that if I do that, the handle would be very close to the size of the 23 so I would be better off with the larger frame right? That’s were I am having trouble because I was actually more accurate with the 27. Although they were relatively similar, my groups were consistently higher and to the left with the 23 while the 27 was more center mass.
  • Shootability - I went in assuming I would like the 23 better because it’s bigger. The 23 was definitely more comfortable to shoot, but the 27 was not uncomfortable at all.
  • Conceal ability - . I’m 6’3”, 205lbs so I’m pretty sure I’m big enough that either one could be concealed comfortably.
  • Capacity – 9 rounds with the 27 and 13 rounds with the 23. Assuming I carry at least one extra magazine is the 4 rounds enough to sway the decision to the 23?
I’m assuming I could work on my technique to get the 23 where it needs to be but is the first impression; “natural” feel more important? Since there weren’t any major differences between the two I’m sure I would be very satisfied with either one in the long run, but I would appreciate any feedback to help me make my decision.

Thanks!
Old October 11, 2011, 02:46 PM   #2
customaquatics

the police force here uses the glock 22c an thats all i've been around an the .45 acp round is awsome from it.
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old October 11, 2011, 03:12 PM   #3
voyager4520

I own both models in Gen3.
Quote:
I had to adjust my grip sometimes which leads me to believe I would use a magazine with the finger extension so I could get a better grip (I’ve shot the 26 with extension and it was no problem). The problem is that if I do that, the handle would be very close to the size of the 23 so I would be better off with the larger frame right?
A +0 extension adds the extra grip but does not add capacity. The bottom of the backstrap on the G23 prints considerably more than a G27 with a +0 extension. A G27 with no extension will still print less than one with a +0 extension, but the G23 would print more.

Here's a G26(same size as G27) with a Pearce +0 extension: http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1288726115

Another of the +0 extension: http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/GLOCK/PG-26

G27 with GAP Enterprises extension in first two pictures, Pearce +2 in last picture:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost...77&postcount=6
(the Pearce +2 will only add 1 round capacity to a .40 magazine)

Sub-compact with Pearce +2 in foreground, Compact in background:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost...3&postcount=11

Quote:
That’s were I am having trouble because I was actually more accurate with the 27. Although they were relatively similar, my groups were consistently higher and to the left with the 23 while the 27 was more center mass.
Same here, most Glock owners report that they're more accurate with the sub-compact. I think it has something to do with the hump on the backstrap of the compact model. I've only ever shot Gen3, you might try a Gen4 G23 and see if it groups any better for you.

Quote:
The 23 was definitely more comfortable to shoot, but the 27 was not uncomfortable at all.
I've gotten used to the two-finger grip with no extensions and I like it.
Quote:
Capacity – 9 rounds with the 27 and 13 rounds with the 23. Assuming I carry at least one extra magazine is the 4 rounds enough to sway the decision to the 23?
You could carry the G27 with 9 rounds and carry G23 magazines as backup magazines. That's what I do. Some people have reported feeding problems if they use the extended magazine as part of the grip, I just keep my pinky off the extended magazine and I've never had any problems. You could use G22 magazines as well for 15 rounds. I have a couple of .40 22-round magazines made by Glock and they function flawlessly in both of my guns, but they're not too practical to carry.

I'm 5'11" 170lbs and I haven't carried my G23 since the day I bought my G27. I don't use any extensions, just the two-finger grip. And I carry G23 magazines as backup magazines. I have small to medium sized hands. I'd like to try a Gen4 G23 some time in the future to see if the reduced hump on the backstrap affects my accuracy. Though the early production Gen4's have a heavier trigger pull by half a pound. The newest Gen4's have a new connector that brings the trigger pull down to the same weight as Gen3. The connector will have a "dot" marking in place of the "minus" marking you see in this picture: http://tinypic.com/r/2mhdgzc/7

Also the newest Gen4's will have an ejector that looks like this(scroll down a couple pictures): http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...6&postcount=81

Last edited by voyager4520; October 11, 2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old October 11, 2011, 03:34 PM   #4
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
the police force here uses the glock 22c an thats all i've been around an the .45 acp round is awsome from it.
It would be awesom to see a .45 acp from a 22C
Maybe you meant 21c because that is the 45 glock, and yet I don't understand why a police agency would be using the compensated model.
Close retention blast and all that.

Back to the OP's question.
I have had the glock 26, 19, 19 cut to 26 grip and the 17.
All equivalent sizes to the .40 caliber models of 27, 23 and 22.

I did not like the 26. IWB, it did not balance as nice as my 19 cut to 26 grips length, felt clunky in the hand and only offered 1/2 in length. I liked the longer slide and balance of the 19. By putting the A&G sleeve on the 19 magazines, the chopped gun achieves the same balance as the original 19.

But I have a much smaller frame than you, and yet I have no problem concealing even a glock 17. So I don't think concealment will be that much of a decision maker, unless you are trying to pocket carry it.

Yes, you could carry the 27 and carry the higher capacity magazine as a spare, and that is what I do most of the time.
Yes, a finger extension shows less than the longer 23 mag, but given your size, I think it is a mute point.

I think the 23 would be more suited to your size.
Old October 11, 2011, 04:31 PM   #5
peacefulgary

You really can't go wrong with either one, but after owning both and shooting both for several years I must admit that the .40S&W is just a bit too snappy from the G27 (especially when shooting rapid fire with only one hand).
So, I recommend the Glock 23.
Old October 11, 2011, 04:56 PM   #6
Burger

Quote:
Accuracy
The G23 frame may help more. It does for me because my pinky gets to do some holding to steady the shots better.

G23

Quote:
Shootability
The mag extentions help, but it make me pinch skin when reloading fast. I prefer the larger frame of the G23 for better control when handling over the G27.

G23

Quote:
Conceal ability
Your a big dude so it won't matter much, but obviously smaller hides better.

G27

Quote:
Capacity
I rely on my wits more than bullets. For me I think nine shots are plenty, but 13 is even better if you don't mind the little extra weight.

G23
Old October 11, 2011, 06:43 PM   #7
dc9137

Thanks all of you for the input! I'm leaning towards a 23 Gen 4 at the moment. I may go back to the range and shoot them again (both Gen 3's) before I decide. I wish the range had a Gen 4 to try.

Last edited by dc9137; October 11, 2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old October 11, 2011, 08:15 PM   #8
jglsprings

It really doens't matter, you're going to get both of them anyway (eventually) - Everyone does!

Get the one you shoot best now. I can shoot my G27 better than my G23. I like the G23 for the car and the G27 to carry.

I use G23 mags with the sleeve/spacer for my extra magazine carry for my G27.

link to g23 spacer...

Commas save lives...

Last edited by jglsprings; October 11, 2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old October 12, 2011, 10:04 AM   #9
Glenn E. Meyer

Have both - if you could afford. I went through this decision path with the 9mm and 40s. I finally settled on the 19 and 26 although I could shoot the 40 versions just fine.

Why, cheaper to shoot, more capacity and I don't find any compelling evidence that a 40 is more of a super weapon than the quality 9s. Since I shoot a lot of competitions, price meant something to me.

So I'd get both - the 26 was easier to conceal - a major concern in nice work clothes.

23 and 27 - shoot both consistently. I do have small hands and the 26 or 27 weren't hard to control.
Old October 12, 2011, 06:25 PM   #10
Deaf Smith

Well I own the whole stable of sub-compacts.... 26, 27, and 33 (why wasn't the 33 called the 28 is beyond me!)

Anyway I like them all very much.

But if you have a weak wrist then the 26, 9mm, might be a better plan.

And for those who say 9mm ammo is cheaper, well top end carry ammo isn't!

Find out how much +p+ 127gr Winchester 9mm is .vs. top .40 or .357 Sig. You will not find much difference.

The difference is in FMJ practice ammo.

But if you can, do like me and have a dedicated 9mm 26 just for practice (with a AACK .22 unit to boot.)

Deaf
Old October 13, 2011, 02:04 AM   #11
ftttu

I remember when the 27 came and I was very vocal about wanting to get one and carry it for work with a 23 magazine. I thought it was a great idea because it was still a powerful .40 cal, small, light weight, and I could also carry it when I'm not working. It seemed like the writer of the official rules I work by put it out that we could carry .40 and 9mm Glock models while we are wearing our nifty and identifying clothing, all but the 27. If we are not working or in plain clothes while working, we can carry one. I still think the official rules were written to be against me because I wanted one so badly. I've since gone to a work weapon and a not work weapon, leaving them both in their own holsters and not having one to do both. I'm not going to get into the bad or good about that, it is just what I do.

P.S. I never got a 27 but I will be on my second 23 when ever it gets here. And, when I have a 27, I'm amazed that they are about as accurate as their larger cousins.
Old October 13, 2011, 10:35 AM   #12
bakon

Own them both. about same size. only carry the 27 off duty. 23 too heavy and big.
Old October 13, 2011, 11:02 AM   #13
Dashunde

Go with the G27 and the floorplate mentioned above to help out with the re-gripping issue.
Theres a good chance you'd find the G23 too big and heavy hanging on one side, as it is the G27 is fat and heavy enough for me.

The G27 will hide and balance much better with a 2nd mag on the opposite side.
Old October 16, 2011, 08:04 PM   #14
dc9137

I went and got the 23 Gen 4 today. I can't wait to hit the range this week! Thanks for all the input!
Old October 17, 2011, 02:51 AM   #15
voyager4520

Congrats!
Old October 17, 2011, 10:57 AM   #16
khegglie

My G27 semi retired my beloved G30 because it's easier to carry. Both sent Mr. G21 to the bleachers.
Old October 17, 2011, 09:05 PM   #17
ksblazer

Congrats on getting your new Glock 23

I can tell your pretty excited about it. My advice is to go shoot the heck out of it.

Give us a range report when you get the chance
Old October 17, 2011, 11:22 PM   #18
Terry A

My Glock 23 is one of the best all-around pistols in my collection. Caliber, reliability, capacity, compactness...super pistol!
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "

Tags
concealed carry , decisions , glock , glock 23 , glock 27