The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 24, 2010, 10:24 PM   #1
k9cougar

safety stock

As a reloader how many extra supplies do you like to have on hand? I get uncomfortale is my primer stock dips below 2000 and powder stock dips below 2 pounds. What levels of primers, cases, powder or bullets do you like to keep on hand?
Old November 25, 2010, 09:54 AM   #2
That'll Do

I like to keep at least 3000 of each primer size on hand. As far as powder, I have a bunch of different types, but for my primary brands, like W-231, I like at least 4 pounds.

For bullets, I cast my own, but I do buy commercial brands, but I don't have an amount that I like to have on hand. I just a box or two here and there.
Old November 25, 2010, 10:05 AM   #3
farmerboy

Just like you Cougar, I like to always keep about 2000 of each kind of primers and about atleast 2 pounds of each kind of powder I use. Wishing each and everyone of my Firing Line Buddies and their Families a Happy Thanksgiving and GOD BLESS!
Old November 25, 2010, 11:04 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

pallets full. i'm comfortable with pallets. full......
Old November 25, 2010, 11:11 AM   #5
4runnerman

I try keep 2000 primers and at least 2lbs of my 2 powders on hand.Get worried when i dip below that. I also keep around 1000 primed cases ready to go. To me primingis the worst part of reloading(boring).So any time i get a free hour or two i head down stairs and prime up a couple hundered. I only shoot 2 calibers and have narrowed it down to just one powder for each load,so two different powders is all i stock. Thank God so far no shortage of those 2 powders around here.

Happy Turkey Day to All
Old November 25, 2010, 11:16 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

way easier

Obtain an RCBS (or Hornady) hand-prime unit.
I can prime 500 cases in 15 minutes.
Even though I also use a Dillon XL650, I often hand prime cases.
Old November 25, 2010, 12:13 PM   #7
4runnerman

WESHOOT2, Im on the verge of either getting one or paying someone to come do it for me, I hate it that much. I have looked at them,do they work that good?.
Old November 25, 2010, 04:33 PM   #8
jepp2

A lot depends on the availability of supply. I try to keep at least a years supply on hand as safety stock.

You might consider the RCBS autoprime. It doesn't cost much more than the hand priming tools, and gives you much better feel.

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/Mai...&route=C06J030
Old November 26, 2010, 06:49 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

thanks for asking

I started with the tray-attached LEE unit some years back. I bought another so I'd have both primers sizes at-the-ready, and as a back-up (I was commercial then).
I broke both during a marathon priming session.
I bought an RCBS unit, the one that uses non-proprietary shellholders (unlike the LEE), with attached tray.
I liked its ergos, and bought another.
I've had them for at least ten (?) years, and have primed nearly a gigazatribillion cases with them.

Yes they work that good. Just, as always, wear eye protection when handling primers.