The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 11, 2010, 03:51 PM   #1
Scoob956

I finally joined the reloading club

So I have been reading and researching this for quite sometime. I currently shoot 4 calibers, 9mm luger, 40s&w, .243, and .308.

A couple weeks ago I picked up the lee challenger breech lock kit, with some needed extra components as well.

After hunting down primers and powder I finally loaded my first batch of 243 last night. I loaded up 40 with the 87 gr v-max and imr 4350.

It was killing me seeing them sitting there, I had to shoot a few. So i went out back and fired off a few rounds, they felt amazing. No pressure signs.

I won't be able to judge accuracy until I can get out to the range, I just wanted to see them work

Just wanted to say this forum is a huge help to people like me just getting started, I haven't posted in the reloading forum before, but thanks guys

edit: In addition to this forum I have also invested in 2 of the suggested books ( and read them ) the ABC's of reloading and the Lyman manual.

Last edited by Scoob956; April 11, 2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old April 11, 2010, 04:23 PM   #2
Sevens

For your .243 and .308, I will suggest you buy the Lee case length gauge and shell holder, and a cutter and lock stud to trim your brass.

You won't need it for handgun calibers, but you will for bottle neck rifle rounds. While the Lee system isn't variable or flexible (it cuts to a set length, no more and no less) it is BY FAR the most inexpensive system you can use for trimming brass to a safe, usable length. It's easy and it works very well.

It doesn't take much shooting of rifle calibers to stretch brass to where it's too long to use.

You'll need one shellholder/gauge for each of .243 and .308 (less than five bucks each) and you'll need one cutter and lock stud (which can be used for any caliber.) You may wish to upgrade to the ball-grip handle cutter as it's easier on the hands to use. Also grab the Lee chamfer tool, just a buck or two, to clean up the cuts you've made.

Welcome to the "club!"
Old April 11, 2010, 06:37 PM   #3
jmortimer

The Breechlock is a great press and the bushings are a great idea - swap pre-set dies in and out in a flash. I wish Lee Precision was making them when I got my kit.
Old April 11, 2010, 06:47 PM   #4
sonick808

woohoo!

welcome to the hobby that you begin with savings in mind, only to spend more on reloading toys ! muhahahah!

welcome aboard Be safe and thorough out there...
Old April 11, 2010, 10:57 PM   #5
Jim243

Welcome, welcome, welcome wait till you see how great they shoot, you will be wondering why you ever purchased commerical ammo.

Again Welcome.
Old April 11, 2010, 11:28 PM   #6
TXGunNut

Welcome to the asylum! Read those loading manuals, good info every time you sit down with one. Keep good records, my notebook was started many years too late but still useful. More importantly, have fun! .243 is an amazing cartridge to load for, it even looks like fun.
Old April 12, 2010, 03:33 AM   #7
gun44

Welcome..............

Welcome to a great hobby. Not only will it save you money, but it is also just plain fun!