The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 22, 2010, 08:38 AM   #1
tyrajam

8mm mauser ID

My buddy is trying to sell an old gun but he has no idea what it is. Its an 8mm mauser that was sporterized probably 50 years ago, and he said the only markings he can find are 286 grB1 . I have not seen the gun, I asked him for pics but it might take a while. Anyone know anything by these markings?
Old February 22, 2010, 04:53 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those marks mean nothing to me. I am fairly sure there must be other markings, but can't help without more information and/or pictures.

Jim
Old February 22, 2010, 05:30 PM   #3
tyrajam

Thanks Jim, I told him to take the stock off and he'd probably find some more markings. I'll update it as soon as I get something else.
Old February 22, 2010, 05:35 PM   #4
PetahW

IIRC, "286" might be a commercial bullet weight (but more likely for a 9.3mm than an 8mm), AND if so, there's a slim chance you may have a Mauser Sporting Rifle on your hands.

Pics are definitely gonna be needed.

Old February 23, 2010, 08:51 AM   #5
tyrajam

OK, got him on the phone yesterday with the gun in his hands, and he found more markings on the gun (of course!)

N with a crown over it--proofmark for smokeless powder?
285 gr. B.P. --I assumed it is a faded 265 for the powder charge?
St. mG- steel jacket bullet
122 on the barrel and action- Date? January of '22??

Thats what I have guessed so far with a little checking, but until he gives me pics of the action and bolt I doubt we can narrow it down but probably a k98?

Here's an old picture he already had, don't really help at all.

Old February 23, 2010, 10:13 AM   #6
simonkenton

Old February 23, 2010, 10:45 AM   #7
30-30remchester

From the little I can see in the photo there isnt enough imformation that can be gleemed about the rifle. If you could get him to photograph all sides more can be learned. I can tell you from the floorplate that it doesnt have a bug screw like so many models of military heritage did.
Old February 23, 2010, 02:00 PM   #8
GregM

your friend is gonna have to remove the scope to see the markings we need to id the rifle. The manufacturer marks will be on top of the receiver ring. It looks like part of the original military rear sight might be left on the rifle, and its a large ring mauser.

Greg
Old February 24, 2010, 03:46 PM   #9
tyrajam

MORE PICS

OK, I got him to send me some pics of the action and bolt, What do you think? And do you think the 122 on the action and barrel are the date?

Old February 24, 2010, 05:07 PM   #10
Scorch

If the pictures were a little fuzzier and pixellated we could sell them as impressionist art.

So far, here's what I can tell you:
* It is a Mauser 98, vintage unknown, but probably military judging from the floorplate.
* The bolt handle has been cut off and an aftermarket bolt handle welded on (looks like a Brownells bolt handle. But who knows?)
* It may have been rebarreled with an aftermarket barrel of some sort. There should be a chambering stamped in the barrel somewhere, but not necessarily. You will have to measure bore diameter and do a chamber cast to find out what cartridge it is chambered for.
* It has been drilled/tapped and equipped with Weaver bases
* It has a mid-1960s Weaver K-series scope living on top of Weaver rings
* It has been restocked in a figured walnut stock of indeterminate lineage
* It has been equipped with a Dayton-Traister Mark 2 safety
* From the shape of the trigger, I would guess it has a Dayton-Traister trigger in it also.
Old February 24, 2010, 09:13 PM   #11
tyrajam

WOW Scorch, and to think I almost didn't post the picks because they were so fuzzy. I am impressed, thanks for the info.
Old February 24, 2010, 09:16 PM   #12
GregM

Hey Scorch, isn't that the rear of the military style sight base on the barrel in the first pic?

Tyrajam, this is like keeping us in suspense. Your dirty, just dirty!

GregM
Old February 24, 2010, 09:27 PM   #13
dhhardw

My experience

I bought an 8mm Spanish Mauser (1943 model, made in 1951) a while back. It had 7.9 stamped on the barrel (i.e. 7.92X57). However, when a lot of these were sporterized they were bored to something like 30.06. What I did was asked my gunsmith to do a chamber cast to assure that the rifle was an 8mm Mauser (7.92X57) with a .323 bore. (Some really old Mausers had a .318 bore, all made before 1905, but if yours does not have the original barrel, who knows). Once it was verified, I started shooting it. It ended up being a great rifle and including the chamber cast, cost me $100.

I should also mention that mine has R202 on the bolt, receiver, floor plate and barrel and I think this is its serial number. They all matched.
Old February 24, 2010, 10:12 PM   #14
mapsjanhere

He's got a pre-1912 Mauser from the stamp, it's 2.85 grams gewehr blaettchen pulver. They stopped putting the amount of powder in the proof on the guns in 1912. I doubt this is a "sporter" in the sense that it got converted from a military gun, it has a civilian butterfly rear sight. Looks like a typical commercial product from before WWI.
And I agree the trigger is probably not original, most German hunting guns from that era would have had a set trigger.
As for the barrel, the original barrel will have the caliber stamped underneath (need to take out of stock to see), and often also a date.

Last edited by mapsjanhere; February 24, 2010 at 10:23 PM.