The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 17, 2009, 03:19 PM   #1
cptmclark

Rebarrel to wildcat cartridge

Howdy,
Ive decided to build a rifle for a specific hunting situation, and have been learning about the 358 WSSM. Some folks have been using this to comply with our states odd caliber requirements, which specify pistol cartridge case and bore dimentions. It appears this little beauty will work and has been working for a couple of years. I've never had a rebarreling, and am looking for advice on where to go, how much to expect to spend, and what level of accuracy I can expect from the best providers. I've talked with one such shop who says 1/2 MOA is achieveable, but won't guarantee it. In addition, I'd like advice and info on the caliber, and on loading for this type of unusual cartridge. Thanks a lot, Mike
Old December 17, 2009, 03:29 PM   #2
mapsjanhere

As for prices, the big question is if you find a shop that has the reamer. Standard barrels installed usually should be between 300 and 400, the reamer might add another 120 or so to you cost. ER Shaw and Douglas (what I usually check as hunting barrels) don't have the 358 WSSM on their list, so you're off to custom land.
Old December 17, 2009, 11:46 PM   #3
Ruger4570

I have no experience with the 358 WSSM, but around 15 + years ago I built a 35-284 Win. As far as accuracy goes, of course, no one will guarantee a certain size group until the gun was fired. My 35-284 has a Douglas barrel, 23"long and I have shot many groups with Sierra 225 gr bullets into 5/8" groups at 100 yards. A 35 caliber bullet in a good barrel will be as accurate as any other caliber I think.