The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 20, 2009, 09:44 PM   #1
Hello123

Recoil lug

There is a question in my mind as to if the 3 to 4 inch 100 yard groups could be do to the lack of adequate left recoil lug mating? Any smiths please chime in. The first pic, 326, is the left lug. The second, 327, is the right lug.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 326.jpg (298.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 327.jpg (288.8 KB, 32 views)
Old November 20, 2009, 11:16 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

IMHO, even lug mating is such a minor part of the accuracy picture that I would look at other factors first. Things like bedding, loose screws, bad crown, so-so ammo, would be on my list of possibilities to be looked at.

What kind of rifle? What caliber? What sights are you using? What ammo are you using? How good a shot are you with other guns? Etc., etc.

FWIW, those are locking lugs. "Recoil lug" is the term usually used for a part of the receiver or a plate between barrel and receiver that fits down into a cutout in the stock to spread the recoil to the stock.

Jim
Old November 21, 2009, 12:06 AM   #3
Hello123

Jim, thanks for the reply. Your statement as to the infrequency that lug mating plays into the accuracy equation is what I wanted to know. I have looked into all the other aspects you have mentioned. I am going to put a proven scope on and try more loads and see how that works.